Mailing List Archive

Internationalization issues
I'm not sure I'm the right person to raise this question but I wondered what
the current thinking is on adapting the code for other character sets. If I
recall correctly we or now assuming UTF-8, right? What exactly does that
mean, btw? That we changed the MySQL character tables for those above 7F?
Anyting else?

I'm asking this because I know that some writers on the German Wikipedia
asked for an easy way to type accents. So I wondered if we should add a
special pre-parse function that is language-dependent, i.e, defined in
language??.php, and is called on edit text, title strings and search
expressions before they are processed. The Germans could define it for
example such that ö is always translated to \"o (or they could in fact
use '\"o' as a notation, if they wanted). They could then unambiguously
search for Goedel. I assume that the Polish would want similar stuff, and
perhaps the people at Vikipedio would also like a special notatation for
their special letters, but I know the situation is a bit more complicated
there.

-- Jan Hidders