Mailing List Archive

[rubenste@ohiou.edu: Re: help?]
This is feedback.

----- Forwarded message from "steven l. rubenstein" <rubenste@ohiou.edu> -----

From: "steven l. rubenstein" <rubenste@ohiou.edu>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 11:54:08 -0400
To: Jimmy Wales <jwales@bomis.com>
Subject: Re: help?

Hi Jim,

I notice a change in the WIkipedia "Recent Changes" page format, which is
causing me some difficulties. I hope you can at least explain the change.

First, the "view the last..." line only allows me to look at the last 500
entries. I used to be able to look at the last 1000 or 2500 entries. What
happened? What do I have to do to see the last 1000 entries?

Second, I ask because the same line give me a choice of looking at entries
from the past 1, 3, 7, 14, or 30 days. This is especially important to me
as I may not check Wikipedia for several days at a time. But this option
is effectively inoperative, because there seldom seems to be fewer than 500
changes per day. Thus, even if I ask for the last 30 days, I never get to
see all changes from the last 30 days -- I only get to see changes from the
last six hours (500 changes)!

In other words, is there any way to see changes beyond the last six hours?

Finally, there used to be an option to see all new changes since the last
time I checked, but I cannot find this common anymore. What happened?

I know that managing something as complex as Wikipedia must be very
hard. For what it is worth, it used to take so long to call up any
Wikipedia article that my computer timed out. I have not had this problem
in the past couple of days and appreciate it -- a major improvement. But
it seems to me that these other changes have created new problems....

Thanks for your attention,

Steve

----- End forwarded message -----
Re: [rubenste@ohiou.edu: Re: help?] [ In reply to ]
> I have had a log-on problem for the past two days. When I get
> to the main page, I automatically log on (and my user ID appears
> on the upper right corner). But when I try to do anything, it
> automatically logs me off.

You're probably logging on initially to wikipedia.com; a few days
ago we changed all the internal links to wikipedia.org, so when
you follow a link your cookie goes away. The solution is to change
your initial log in to wikipedia.org.
Re: [rubenste@ohiou.edu: Re: help?] [ In reply to ]

By the way, if you visit www.wikipedia.org, shouldn't the cookie be for
'wikipedia.org' instead of 'www.wikipedia.org'?