TheOpenCD Project
Promoting Open Source on Windows
http://www.theopencd.org
Re: meta.wikipedia.com overloaded [ In reply to ]
On 7/17/02 1:30 PM, "Brion VIBBER" <brion@pobox.com> wrote:

> Perhaps at some point this should be upgraded? (The database will need
> some munging, see updSchema.php)

Meta should just be integrated into the main Wikipedia as its own namespace,
with an option to include/restrict meta RecentChanges from the main
RecentChanges page.
Re: meta.wikipedia.com overloaded [ In reply to ]
Imran Ghory wrote:
> The mySQL server appears to have too many connections, and the
> resulting page full of error messages isn't to pleasant. I don't know
[...]

Incidentally, the meta server is running a _very_ old version of the
code, which lacks such features as:

* restriction of uploads and minor edits to logged-in users
* protection against arbitrary JavaScript inserted into HTML code in
articles
* protection against arbitrary PHP code being run from the upload
directory (in apache configuration)
* use of /wiki/foo links instead of/addition to /wiki.phtml?title=foo
(needs apache configuaration)

Perhaps at some point this should be upgraded? (The database will need
some munging, see updSchema.php)

Also, the upload directory contains a bunch of files of questionable
value (see http://meta.wikipedia.com/wiki.phtml?title=special:upload ;
roughly everything from "rox.bmp" through "SORRY GIRLS.jpg" and some
more later on mixed in with legitimate files such as flags and Wikipedia
paraphernalia).

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
RE: meta.wikipedia.com overloaded [ In reply to ]
I thought we already had this discussion, and concluded that if the meta
becomes part of the English wikipedia, it wouldn't be neutral anymore (or
something like that;)