With my new checkin permission, I went to work happy as a clam.

I added a README file and the GPL license in COPYING.

The file wikiTextEn.php uses the $THESCRIPT variable, and it therefore
has to be included at the end of wikiSettings.php, after
wikiLocalSettings.php has been read. I made a new variable
$wikiLanguage which can be set in wikiLocalSettings and which
determines which wikiText file is included later.

Axel
Re: Sourcing in wikiTextEn.php later [ In reply to ]
On ¼aý, 2002-02-14 at 11:48, Axel Boldt wrote:
> With my new checkin permission, I went to work happy as a clam.
>
> I added a README file and the GPL license in COPYING.

Yay!

> The file wikiTextEn.php uses the $THESCRIPT variable, and it therefore
> has to be included at the end of wikiSettings.php, after
> wikiLocalSettings.php has been read.

Oops! Thanks for catching that.

> I made a new variable
> $wikiLanguage which can be set in wikiLocalSettings and which
> determines which wikiText file is included later.

Note that we should always include wikiTextEn.php before another
language file, as it defines a number of common things that will rarely
have to be changed ($wikiInterwiki and $wikiOtherLanguages, which
arguably should be defined elsewhere, and the stub wikiRecode*
functions) and provides a default English fallback for any new strings
that are added to the software but haven't been translated yet.

Also, I'd prefer to use the standard lowercase language codes (that's
what we should be putting in the Content-language header etc), and do a
ucfirst() for loading the file. Hope you don't mind, I've checked in
such a change.

I've also checked in the Esperanto translation file (wikiTextEo.php) as
an example. For that matter, we're just about ready to go live with the
new software on eo.wikipedia.com if Jimbo has no objections. There are
some bugs in the old software that are... well... bugging us (certain
UTF-8 sequences don't work in page titles, and capitalization is all
wrong). Nobody ever looks at the test server (ain't it the truth?), but
putting up the new software on the live server should get us a
reasonably active set of users who should notice most remaining i18n
bugs before we get ready to let it loose on other languages.

I'll toss in the internationalized convertWiki2SQL.php when I've checked
that it works with the latest version of the database structure.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)