Mailing List Archive

caching question
Jan said that I have caching turned off, which surprised me because I thought
it was on. Now I've looked at the code and I still think it is on.

wikiSettings.php:
$useCachedPages = true ;

wikiLocalSettings.php:
# $useCachedPages = false; # Disable page cache

(This is commented out, right?)

-----------------

Playing with benchmarking, grabbing a normal article 100 times:

(I know that this type of benchmarking is not very scientific, since conditions
may change on the live server due to someone else doing something big at the same
time, etc. But I think it gives an indication.)

As the site is running:
/apache/bin/ab -n100 -c1 http://www.wikipedia.com/wiki/Alabama
Requests per second: 0.95 [#/sec] (mean)

Now I will set $useCachedPages to false by uncommenting the line in wikiLocalSettings.php.

/apache/bin/ab -n100 -c1 http://www.wikipedia.com/wiki/Alabama
Requests per second: 0.97 [#/sec] (mean)

So I see no material difference.

How can I easily tell if caching is actually on or off? Am I doing something wrong
here?
Re: caching question [ In reply to ]
From: "Jimmy Wales" <jwales@bomis.com>

> How can I easily tell if caching is actually on or off? Am I doing
something wrong
> here?

By the following bug. If a page contains a link like [[fr:test]] then there
should be a special link "Other languages : French (Francais)" on top of the
page just below "Watch this article for me". In the cached version you don't
see this link, in the "fresh" version you see it. You have my permission to
edit and try it

http://www.wikipedia.com/wiki/Jan_Hidders/Sandbox

You will see the link just after the edit, but not if you revisit the page
(first visit another page otherwise you resubmit the edit).

If caching is turned off, then you should always see this link.

-- Jan Hidders