Mailing List Archive

Announcing the Wikimania 2024 dates and venue
Hi everyone!

It is my great pleasure to inform you that Wikimania 2024 will happen on 7-10
August 2024 at International Congress Centre
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Congress_Centre_in_Katowice>
in Katowice, Poland <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katowice>.

Katowice is a UNESCO City of Music
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_of_Music_(UNESCO)>, home to many
cultural institutions and in 2024 it will be a European City of Science
<https://www.euroscience.org/european-city-of-science>. Situated in the
heart of the region, it highlights some of the best of Silesia–rich history
and folklore, interesting architecture, and distinct local language and
cuisine! Well-connected, it is also a great place from which you can
explore the rest of the country.

Wikimania Dates

The main part of Wikimania is scheduled to happen from 7th to 10th of
August. 6tf of August is already designated as a pre-conference about which
we will share more information later.

Why Katowice?

We decided to shift the location to Katowice from Kraków due to unforeseen
complications out of our control with our original selected venue. It was
critical for us to find an ideal event space for Wikimania with the right
facilities, provisions and a great location. We also wanted it to
accommodate more general space for informal catch-ups and hangouts, our own
bespoke areas and enough meeting rooms for all the event needs. We were
also looking for cities that would give a similarly exciting cultural
experience for attendees. We were able to find all of that at the International
Congress Centre
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Congress_Centre_in_Katowice>
in Katowice. We are confident that ICC will meet all of our event needs,
and that Katowice and the surrounding area will offer attendees an
enriching experience with its fascinating history, outstanding amenities, a
range of local cafes and restaurants, and rich cultural institutions–all
within walking distance to the main venue.

I would like to thank you all for your patience and excitement for the
upcoming Wikimania. We cannot wait to meet you all in Katowice next summer

Get your scholarship application in now

Scholarships for Wikimania 2024 are open
<https://diff.wikimedia.org/2023/11/15/wikimania-2024-scholarships-open-apply-now/>
and will close on the 18th of December. We look forward to receiving
applications from across our community and welcoming both scholars and
attendees to the wonderful city of Katowice!

On behalf of the Core Organizing Team 2024,
--

Maciej Artur Nadzikiewicz (He/him)

Wikimania 2024 Katowice – Team Lead

Wikimedia Europe Board Member

Wikipedia Administrator

Wikimania
<https://wikimania.wikimedia.org/wiki/2023:Wikimania>
Re: Announcing the Wikimania 2024 dates and venue [ In reply to ]
Yay! Congrats on the announcement!
Cheers to you and the organizers

*Sherry-Ann L. Antoine, MPA*

Technologist and Free Knowledge Advocate

Executive Director, Afro Free Culture Crowdsourcing Wikimedia (AfroCROWD),
AfroCROWD.org <http://afrocrowd.org/>, @AfroCROWDit, #AfroCROWD

Lead Organizer, Wikimedians of the Caribbean User Group
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedians_of_the_Caribbean_User_Group/WikiCari_Festival#:~:text=Wikimedians%20of%20the%20Caribbean%20aims%20to%20achieve%20this,awareness%20of%20various%20parts%20of%20our%20regional%20culture.>,
@WikiCari, #WikiCaribbean

Co-Organizer, News On Wiki NOW
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/News_on_Wiki/Present>, @NewsWiki1,
#NewsOnWiki

Phone / Whatsapp: 1(718) 772-4802

She/ her/ hers

*Sent in a hurry. Please excuse any typos, thanks.

Re: Announcing the Wikimania 2024 dates and venue [ In reply to ]
Wow , hats off to the team for selecting this beautiful location for next
year’s Wikimania…

derrick

Re: Announcing the Wikimania 2024 dates and venue [ In reply to ]
Thank you.

https://www.facebook.com/Dr.Rajeev.Shrivastava/

https://twitter.com/Rajiv64

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Rajeev_Shrivastava5

https://www.linkedin.com/in/rajiv64/

https://orcid.org/0000-0001-8654-206X

Executive Director, Afro Free Culture Crowdsourcing Wikimedia (AfroCROWD), AfroCROWD.org, @AfroCROWDit, #AfroCROWD

Lead Organizer, Wikimedians of the Caribbean User Group, @WikiCari, #WikiCaribbean

Co-Organizer, News On Wiki NOW, @NewsWiki1, #NewsOnWiki

Phone / Whatsapp: 1(718) 772-4802

She/ her/ hers

*Sent in a hurry. Please excuse any typos, thanks.

On Mon, Dec 11, 2023 at 2:01 PM Wikipedysta Nadzik <pl.wikipedia.nadzik@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi everyone!

It is my great pleasure to inform you that Wikimania 2024 will happen on 7-10 August 2024 at International Congress Centre in Katowice, Poland.

Katowice is a UNESCO City of Music, home to many cultural institutions and in 2024 it will be a  European City of Science. Situated in the heart of the region, it highlights some of the best of Silesia–rich history and folklore, interesting architecture, and distinct local language and cuisine! Well-connected, it is also a great place from which you can explore the rest of the country.

[...]

Scholarships for Wikimania 2024 are open and will close on the 18th of December. We look forward to receiving applications from across our community and welcoming both scholars and attendees to the wonderful city of Katowice!