Mailing List Archive

Practical information before the Wikimania Hackathon
Hello,

The Wikimania 2023 Hackathon is just around the corner! This email includes
some practical information that will help you prepare for the event.

General information

We will enforce the Universal Code of Conduct
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Universal_Code_of_Conduct>, Code of
Conduct for Wikimedia’s Technical Spaces
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Code_of_Conduct>, and Friendly Space Policy
<https://wikimania.wikimedia.org/wiki/2023:Friendly_space_policy>. We
recommend all participants review these policies upon arrival at the venue
and in relevant online channels. A dedicated team will be available on-site
to help support a safer environment for all.

A lot of practical information is available on the wiki on the Travel
<https://wikimania.wikimedia.org/wiki/2023:Travel>, Hackathon
<https://wikimania.wikimedia.org/wiki/2023:Hackathon>, and Venue
<https://wikimania.wikimedia.org/wiki/2023:Venue> pages. Look at these
pages to prepare for the event.

We encourage you to add yourself to the participants’ table
<https://wikimania.wikimedia.org/wiki/2023:Hackathon/Participants> to
connect with other Hackathon attendees. When you arrive at the airport, you
can use the Telegram channel <https://t.me/wmhack> (Wikimedia Hackathon) to
see if others who arrived at the same time may want to share a
taxi/Grab/public transport to the hotel or venue with you.

Program

The Hackathon starts with an opening ceremony at 10:00, local time (2:00
UTC). This session will be livestreamed on Youtube. The link will be made
available on the Schedule
<https://wikimania.wikimedia.org/wiki/2023:Hackathon/Schedule> closer to
the event and will also be posted to the Telegram channel.

Tuesday and Wednesday feature a dedicated newcomer program, including a
newcomer orientation, mentor matching, and introductory sessions and
workshops that require little to no prerequisite knowledge. Read more about
this in the Format
<https://wikimania.wikimedia.org/wiki/2023:Hackathon#Format> and Schedule
<https://wikimania.wikimedia.org/wiki/2023:Hackathon/Schedule>.

Mentoring

We are looking forward to welcoming new contributors at the Hackathon!
Regardless of your technical proficiency or experience with Wikimedia, your
insights are invaluable. Everyone has the potential to mentor and guide
others. Consider adding yourself to the mentor page
<https://wikimania.wikimedia.org/wiki/2023:Hackathon/Mentoring>, even if
you feel you aren't an "expert." Your unique perspective or specific
knowledge can greatly benefit others, making the Hackathon a richer
experience for all.

If you have any questions, use the Telegram channel <https://t.me/wmhack>
(Wikimedia Hackathon) to ask fellow attendees.

Looking forward to meeting you!

On behalf of the Wikimania Hackathon organizing team

*Tar Lócesilion / Szymon Grabarczuk*
Wikimania 2024 Core Organizing Team
Wikimania 2023 Technology Committee
Re: Practical information before the Wikimania Hackathon [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 13 Aug 2023 at 13:50, Szymon Grabarczuk
<tar.locesilion@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>

> The Wikimania 2023 Hackathon is just around the corner! T

If anyone is looking for something to work on at the Hackathon, I have
a list here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Pigsonthewing/Wishlist

Solving the "Show Wikidata QID as a link in Navigation-Popups" task
(or indeed any of them) will earn my undying gratitude, and ease my
RSI!
Re: Practical information before the Wikimania Hackathon [ In reply to ]

> If anyone is looking for something to work on at the Hackathon, I have
> a list here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Pigsonthewing/Wishlist

If you haven't already, adding these tasks to the Wikimania hackathon
Phabricator workboard <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/project/view/6557/>
will increase visibility.

--
Slavina Stefanova (she/her)
Software Engineer | Developer Experience

Wikimedia Foundation