Mailing List Archive

Hotel and train reservations
Hi all,

I would like to ask this question here, hoping for a useful answer :)
I would like to ask some information about hotels and trains and
reservations.

I will arrive the 16th very early in the morning in Cairo, and would
like a cheap hotel near the airport or main train station (assuming
there is a good connection to that station from the airport) to sleep
a few hours *before* I head to Alexandria by train.
* Does anyone know what ho(s)tel would be good for this? (note: I
arrive 2 am at the air port, and just want 5'ish hour of sleep, and
being tired, it should be very good to find :) )
* Do I have to make reservations, and what will it roughly cost me?
* Do I have to make reservations for the fast train service to
Alexandria from Cairo, is it hard to get on board, how do I get
tickets?
* How far is it from the Alexandria station to the dorms?
* What time can we drop off stuff in the dorms?

After Wikimania, I would like to travel around a bit, going after two
days or so to Luxor by the night train. First I want to stay one or
two nights in Cairo.

* Does anyone know a ho(s)tel that is good for this? (not too
expensive, not per se next to the station)
* Again: do we have to make reservations?
* For the night train, do we have to make reservations?

We would like to stay in Luxor for one or two days, and one or two
days in Aswan.

*Again, is there a nice ho(s)tel here, price, reservations?

Thanks a lot, and I owe you a stroopwafel if you can help me out!

Best regards,

Lodewijk

Re: Hotel and train reservations [ In reply to ]
Won't you take the 4am bus from cairo to alexandria with us ?
I'm landing at 3am; I first booked a cheap hotel, but I eventually
changed my mind as soon as I knew about the wikimania bus.

Sidenote : I have no idea of the travel time from Cairo to Alexandria.
Do I need to book for the 15-16 night at Saint Marc too ?

2008/7/8 effe iets anders <effeietsanders@gmail.com>:
> Hi all,
>
> I would like to ask this question here, hoping for a useful answer :)
> I would like to ask some information about hotels and trains and
> reservations.
>
> I will arrive the 16th very early in the morning in Cairo, and would
> like a cheap hotel near the airport or main train station (assuming
> there is a good connection to that station from the airport) to sleep
> a few hours *before* I head to Alexandria by train.
> * Does anyone know what ho(s)tel would be good for this? (note: I
> arrive 2 am at the air port, and just want 5'ish hour of sleep, and
> being tired, it should be very good to find :) )
> * Do I have to make reservations, and what will it roughly cost me?
> * Do I have to make reservations for the fast train service to
> Alexandria from Cairo, is it hard to get on board, how do I get
> tickets?
> * How far is it from the Alexandria station to the dorms?
> * What time can we drop off stuff in the dorms?
>
> After Wikimania, I would like to travel around a bit, going after two
> days or so to Luxor by the night train. First I want to stay one or
> two nights in Cairo.
>
> * Does anyone know a ho(s)tel that is good for this? (not too
> expensive, not per se next to the station)
> * Again: do we have to make reservations?
> * For the night train, do we have to make reservations?
>
> We would like to stay in Luxor for one or two days, and one or two
> days in Aswan.
>
> *Again, is there a nice ho(s)tel here, price, reservations?
>
> Thanks a lot, and I owe you a stroopwafel if you can help me out!
>
> Best regards,
>
> Lodewijk

Nicolas Dumazet — NicDumZ [ nIk.d̪ymz ]
pywikipedia & mediawiki
Deuxième année ENSIMAG.
06 03 88 92 29
Re: Hotel and train reservations [ In reply to ]
No, I prefer to sleep a bit offsite, before the Big Rush begins :) and
also want to try out the train and meet up etc. The bus is great, but
I have a slightly different schedule :)

Best regards,

Lodewijk

Re: Hotel and train reservations [ In reply to ]
Night train reservation is a problem for me.
I prefer to take a sleeper but they haven't replied me by email.
If someone calls them on my behalf and make a reservation from Aswan
to Cairo on 13/14 July, I will very appreciate. (but if you need to
pay something, and not show at the conf, please forget the above).

Eia, for sleepers, it will be a problem (reservation cannot make
online, D'oh). As for coach (it is also my second choice, if no
sleeper is available), they say more availability is expected (5 train
run per day). Egyptian National Railway has a good website where you
can see their schbedule.

On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 4:45 AM, effe iets anders
<effeietsanders@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I would like to ask this question here, hoping for a useful answer :)
> I would like to ask some information about hotels and trains and
> reservations.
>
> I will arrive the 16th very early in the morning in Cairo, and would
> like a cheap hotel near the airport or main train station (assuming
> there is a good connection to that station from the airport) to sleep
> a few hours *before* I head to Alexandria by train.
> * Does anyone know what ho(s)tel would be good for this? (note: I
> arrive 2 am at the air port, and just want 5'ish hour of sleep, and
> being tired, it should be very good to find :) )
> * Do I have to make reservations, and what will it roughly cost me?
> * Do I have to make reservations for the fast train service to
> Alexandria from Cairo, is it hard to get on board, how do I get
> tickets?
> * How far is it from the Alexandria station to the dorms?
> * What time can we drop off stuff in the dorms?
>
> After Wikimania, I would like to travel around a bit, going after two
> days or so to Luxor by the night train. First I want to stay one or
> two nights in Cairo.
>
> * Does anyone know a ho(s)tel that is good for this? (not too
> expensive, not per se next to the station)
> * Again: do we have to make reservations?
> * For the night train, do we have to make reservations?
>
> We would like to stay in Luxor for one or two days, and one or two
> days in Aswan.
>
> *Again, is there a nice ho(s)tel here, price, reservations?
>
> Thanks a lot, and I owe you a stroopwafel if you can help me out!
>
> Best regards,
>
> Lodewijk

KIZU Naoko
http://d.hatena.ne.jp/Britty (in Japanese)

Re: Hotel and train reservations [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 5:45 AM, effe iets anders
<effeietsanders@gmail.com> wrote:

> After Wikimania, I would like to travel around a bit, going after two
> days or so to Luxor by the night train. First I want to stay one or
> two nights in Cairo.
>
> * Does anyone know a ho(s)tel that is good for this? (not too
> expensive, not per se next to the station)

Tim and I are staying at the "Talisman Hotel de Charme" before
Wikimania which is €68 a night (with expedia). In the same building is
a hostel called "New Minerva" which starts from €14 a night. You can
find them on hotels.lonelyplanet.com or google the names to see
various reviews. It's apparently a central location.

Angela

Re: Hotel and train reservations [ In reply to ]
I cannot answer all your questions but if you want to reserve a seat
in a train from cairo to alexandria

you can reserve online before even coming at
https://www.egypt.gov.eg/english/services/enr/default.asp

and I recommend that you start reserving within the next 2 days
because during this tiem of summer, train seats become sold out before
2 or 3 days of the train's departure

I also recommend that you get a 1st class seat at the Espanol train
(El Aspany) or the Turbo train (El Torbiny), because the're the ones
who are direct to alexandria without stops and have an air conditioned
first class seats,, otherwise, it may be annoying

the trip could take from 2-3 hours depending on the train and the
departure time, and there are trains to alex almost every 2 or hours
but the direct ones are about 3 a day, so check out good

if you want to reserve a train from egypt after you arrive, you don't
have to go to te train station itself in cairo (Mahattet Masr), you
can reserve a ticket from one of the 2 main phone centrals of Almaza
or Heliopolis (masr el gedida)

Hope that helps...

Ahmed Koraiem

On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 10:45 PM, effe iets anders

Re: Hotel and train reservations [ In reply to ]
2008/7/9 Ahmed Koraiem <amkoraiem@gmail.com>:

> I cannot answer all your questions but if you want to reserve a seat
> in a train from cairo to alexandria
>
> you can reserve online before even coming at
> https://www.egypt.gov.eg/english/services/enr/default.asp
>
> and I recommend that you start reserving within the next 2 days
> because during this tiem of summer, train seats become sold out before
> 2 or 3 days of the train's departure
>
> I also recommend that you get a 1st class seat at the Espanol train
> (El Aspany) or the Turbo train (El Torbiny), because the're the ones
> who are direct to alexandria without stops and have an air conditioned
> first class seats,, otherwise, it may be annoying
>
> the trip could take from 2-3 hours depending on the train and the
> departure time, and there are trains to alex almost every 2 or hours
> but the direct ones are about 3 a day, so check out good
>
> if you want to reserve a train from egypt after you arrive, you don't
> have to go to te train station itself in cairo (Mahattet Masr), you
> can reserve a ticket from one of the 2 main phone centrals of Almaza
> or Heliopolis (masr el gedida)
>
> Hope that helps...
>
> Ahmed Koraiem

What about the free shuttle from Cairo to Alexandria that is being provided?
Will we get information on that soon? Such as: where it is located from the
airport, how to obtain tickets, how far is the station in Alexandria from
the dorms? (echoing Lodewijk here, but with a week to go, I'd really like to
be prepared).

--
Al Tally
(User:Majorly)
Re: Hotel and train reservations [ In reply to ]
As much as I heard, the shuttle from Cairo airport to Alexandria is
free of charge, so I don't think you'll need any tickets, for the
place & times of departure, while I dunno anything about the time of
departure or where to find the bus

the dorms from the train station should not be very far, but plz make
sure that there are 2 train stations in alexandria which are
Mahattet Sidy Beshr (sidy beshr station) , and Mahattet el Raml (raml
station), if you're talking about saint marc dorms, sidy beshr station
should be a bit closer to it than el raml, but both of them are not
considered very far if you'll take a taxi

Re: Hotel and train reservations [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 4:59 PM, Al Tally <majorly.wiki@googlemail.com> wrote:
> 2008/7/9 Ahmed Koraiem <amkoraiem@gmail.com>:
>>
>> I cannot answer all your questions but if you want to reserve a seat
>> in a train from cairo to alexandria
>>
>> you can reserve online before even coming at
>> https://www.egypt.gov.eg/english/services/enr/default.asp
>>
>> and I recommend that you start reserving within the next 2 days
>> because during this tiem of summer, train seats become sold out before
>> 2 or 3 days of the train's departure
>>
>> I also recommend that you get a 1st class seat at the Espanol train
>> (El Aspany) or the Turbo train (El Torbiny), because the're the ones
>> who are direct to alexandria without stops and have an air conditioned
>> first class seats,, otherwise, it may be annoying
>>
>> the trip could take from 2-3 hours depending on the train and the
>> departure time, and there are trains to alex almost every 2 or hours
>> but the direct ones are about 3 a day, so check out good
>>
>> if you want to reserve a train from egypt after you arrive, you don't
>> have to go to te train station itself in cairo (Mahattet Masr), you
>> can reserve a ticket from one of the 2 main phone centrals of Almaza
>> or Heliopolis (masr el gedida)
>>
>> Hope that helps...
>>
>> Ahmed Koraiem
>
> What about the free shuttle from Cairo to Alexandria that is being provided?
> Will we get information on that soon? Such as: where it is located from the
> airport, how to obtain tickets, how far is the station in Alexandria from
> the dorms? (echoing Lodewijk here, but with a week to go, I'd really like to
> be prepared).
>
> --
> Al Tally
> (User:Majorly)

I think it is this:
http://wikimania2008.wikimedia.org/wiki/Local_transportation/Transportation_between_airport_and_city#Free_Shuttles

Looks like you sign up online, but I don't know anything else beyond that.
-- phoebe