Cairo/elsewhere in Egypt after Wikimania? And if there is, would they mind
having me tag along while sightseeing?

I asked on the Wikimania IRC channel if it was OK to send this e-mail to the
list. They said yes, but I apologize if anyone finds it too off-topic. Feel
free to e-mail me directly if you wish to do so.

Happy editing,
--Maria
User:Arria Belli
Re: Visiting Egypt after Wikimania [ In reply to ]
I think this is one of the topics that could be considered as on topic
here, actually :)

Lodewijk

Re: Visiting Egypt after Wikimania [ In reply to ]
Actually, I'll be leaving from Cairo the 21st at 3 am, which means
that I'll have a free day in Cairo on the 20th.

Any wikimedian company during that last day in Cairo is welcome, even
if we might arrange for this on Alexandria ;)

2008/5/29 effe iets anders <effeietsanders@gmail.com>:
> I think this is one of the topics that could be considered as on topic
> here, actually :)
>
> Lodewijk
>
> 2008/5/29 Maria Fanucchi <marialadouce@gmail.com>:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I have a little problem concerning staying in Egypt after Wikimania: I have
>> guaranteed lodging with a friend of my family who lives in Cairo, but as far
>> as I know she'll be working all day and therefore not available for
>> sightseeing. Now, I am the first to admit that I am the most scatterbrained,
>> absent-minded person ever; I also freely admit that I get lost in
>> supermarkets (even the one I use every week). I really, truly do. I am
>> infamous for turning a street corner and then wondering which way I had come
>> from. Family members place bets on how far I am from my intended destination
>> whenever I go out. Honestly. I am afraid that if I go out alone in Cairo I
>> will get seriously lost.
>>
>> My point is, are there any Wikimedians thinking of staying on in
>> Cairo/elsewhere in Egypt after Wikimania? And if there is, would they mind
>> having me tag along while sightseeing?
>>
>> I asked on the Wikimania IRC channel if it was OK to send this e-mail to the
>> list. They said yes, but I apologize if anyone finds it too off-topic. Feel
>> free to e-mail me directly if you wish to do so.
>>
>> Happy editing,
>> --Maria
>> User:Arria Belli

Nicolas Dumazet — NicDumZ [ nIk.d̪ymz ]
pywikipedia & mediawiki
Deuxième année ENSIMAG.
06 03 88 92 29
Re: Visiting Egypt after Wikimania [ In reply to ]
I don't know how much time I will have for sightseeing during the daytime,
but I am living in Cairo for the summer. Thus, I will be there before and
after Wikimania, but likely will be busy during the day. Maybe I can get
time off on the 20th, but no promises.

-Aude

On 5/29/08, Maria Fanucchi <marialadouce@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I have a little problem concerning staying in Egypt after Wikimania: I have
> guaranteed lodging with a friend of my family who lives in Cairo, but as far
> as I know she'll be working all day and therefore not available for
> sightseeing. Now, I am the first to admit that I am the most scatterbrained,
> absent-minded person ever; I also freely admit that I get lost in
> supermarkets (even the one I use every week). I really, truly do. I am
> infamous for turning a street corner and then wondering which way I had come
> from. Family members place bets on how far I am from my intended destination
> whenever I go out. Honestly. I am afraid that if I go out alone in Cairo I
> will get seriously lost.
>
> My point is, are there any Wikimedians thinking of staying on in
> Cairo/elsewhere in Egypt after Wikimania? And if there is, would they mind
> having me tag along while sightseeing?
>
> I asked on the Wikimania IRC channel if it was OK to send this e-mail to
> the list. They said yes, but I apologize if anyone finds it too off-topic.
> Feel free to e-mail me directly if you wish to do so.
>
> Happy editing,
> --Maria
> User:Arria Belli

Aude
Re: Visiting Egypt after Wikimania [ In reply to ]
Maria Fanucchi wrote:
> I have a little problem concerning staying in Egypt after Wikimania: I
> have guaranteed lodging with a friend of my family who lives in Cairo,
> but as far as I know she'll be working all day and therefore not
> available for sightseeing. Now, I am the first to admit that I am the
> most scatterbrained, absent-minded person ever; I also freely admit
> that I get lost in supermarkets (even the one I use every week). I
> really, truly do. I am infamous for turning a street corner and then
> wondering which way I had come from. Family members place bets on how
> far I am from my intended destination whenever I go out. Honestly. I
> am afraid that if I go out alone in Cairo I will get seriously lost.
These characteristics are common features among gifted children. :-)
> My point is, are there any Wikimedians thinking of staying on in
> Cairo/elsewhere in Egypt after Wikimania? And if there is, would they
> mind having me tag along while sightseeing?
I'm sure that most of us who are coming from far away have something of
the sort in mind. We have already dealt with the biggest expense, the
air fare, and it would be a shame to lose the opportunity once we are in
Egypt. When I bought the plane tickets for me and my son I decided that
I would leave for home on the 28th so that we could have most of a week
for tourism. I roughly thought to go down to Luxor, and work my way
back to Cairo before leaving. I would be very happy to co-ordinate with
others. Getting together in Alexandria to share plans would really help.
> I asked on the Wikimania IRC channel if it was OK to send this e-mail
> to the list. They said yes, but I apologize if anyone finds it too
> off-topic. Feel free to e-mail me directly if you wish to do so.
This is a fine place for the discussion. If you keep to one-on-one
e-mails you really only know about one person at a time.

Ec

Re: Visiting Egypt after Wikimania [ In reply to ]
Phoebe Ayers made a page in the wikimania site just for this very issue, but no one seems to know it's there. Let's use it!

Are you planning to go to Wikimania 2008? Interested in doing tourism
activities with other Wikimedians? I started a travel coordination
page here:
http://wikimania2008.wikimedia.org/wiki/Travel_coordination

Maria Fanucchi <marialadouce@gmail.com> wrote: Hi everyone,

I have a little problem concerning staying in Egypt after Wikimania: I have guaranteed lodging with a friend of my family who lives in Cairo, but as far as I know she'll be working all day and therefore not available for sightseeing. Now, I am the first to admit that I am the most scatterbrained, absent-minded person ever; I also freely admit that I get lost in supermarkets (even the one I use every week). I really, truly do. I am infamous for turning a street corner and then wondering which way I had come from. Family members place bets on how far I am from my intended destination whenever I go out. Honestly. I am afraid that if I go out alone in Cairo I will get seriously lost.

My point is, are there any Wikimedians thinking of staying on in Cairo/elsewhere in Egypt after Wikimania? And if there is, would they mind having me tag along while sightseeing?

Re: Visiting Egypt after Wikimania [ In reply to ]
Hi

I am living in Cairo, and after Wikimania I will have to work, but I
only work on Sundays, Mondays and Tuesdays so the rest of the weekend I
am free for sightseeing, even though I live in Cairo, I have many places
to visit as a tourist, so I am open for going out with you Maria or
anybody else that wants to join, but I don't know the dates you will be
in Cairo...

Here in Cairo, I can manage to go to the Pyramids, The Museum, The
Citadel of Salah El Din...and Khan El Khalili, of course taking a taxi
;) so I think we can manage to make a nice sightseeing.
Also there are some nice spots at night to visit, like Nile Blue,
Morocco, After Eight, or just eat some egyptian food or maybe just take
a ride in the Nile in a boat.

;) Diana

Nicolas Dumazet wrote:
> Actually, I'll be leaving from Cairo the 21st at 3 am, which means
> that I'll have a free day in Cairo on the 20th.
>
> Any wikimedian company during that last day in Cairo is welcome, even
> if we might arrange for this on Alexandria ;)
>
> 2008/5/29 effe iets anders <effeietsanders@gmail.com>:
>
>> I think this is one of the topics that could be considered as on topic
>> here, actually :)
>>
>> Lodewijk
>>
>> 2008/5/29 Maria Fanucchi <marialadouce@gmail.com>:
>>
>>> Hi everyone,
>>>
>>> I have a little problem concerning staying in Egypt after Wikimania: I have
>>> guaranteed lodging with a friend of my family who lives in Cairo, but as far
>>> as I know she'll be working all day and therefore not available for
>>> sightseeing. Now, I am the first to admit that I am the most scatterbrained,
>>> absent-minded person ever; I also freely admit that I get lost in
>>> supermarkets (even the one I use every week). I really, truly do. I am
>>> infamous for turning a street corner and then wondering which way I had come
>>> from. Family members place bets on how far I am from my intended destination
>>> whenever I go out. Honestly. I am afraid that if I go out alone in Cairo I
>>> will get seriously lost.
>>>
>>> My point is, are there any Wikimedians thinking of staying on in
>>> Cairo/elsewhere in Egypt after Wikimania? And if there is, would they mind
>>> having me tag along while sightseeing?
>>>
>>> I asked on the Wikimania IRC channel if it was OK to send this e-mail to the
>>> list. They said yes, but I apologize if anyone finds it too off-topic. Feel
>>> free to e-mail me directly if you wish to do so.
>>>
>>> Happy editing,
>>> --Maria
>>> User:Arria Belli

Diana Apaza
Gerente de Producto
SUMAQ PERU TRAVEL SAC
Tel: +511 242-6595
Cel: +511 9961-4116
info@sumaqperu.com
diana_apaza@sumaqperu.com
http://www.sumaqperu.com
http://wiki.sumaqperu.com

Re: Visiting Egypt after Wikimania [ In reply to ]
Just for the record, I have confirmed my presence at Wikimania and bought
plane tickets. If all goes well, I will be in Egypt from the 16th to the
28th of July. The first four days will, of course, be spent in Alexandria,
but for the rest of the time I will be in Cairo.
I am especially looking forward to visiting the Egyptian Museum,
particularly with Wikimedians. If anyone else is thinking of doing the same,
please say so! Perhaps we could arrange a "Wikimedia Takes the Egyptian
Museum" day. And another day could be entirely devoted to Khan El Khalili,
and another to the Pyramids, and... and so on.
I'd be glad to explore the city with you guys, wherever you go. The
important thing is to not leave me alone because if I wander off at, say,
the Pyramids, there's a good chance I'll shortly find myself somewhere in
the desert with the Pyramids nowhere in sight. It's not that I get easily
distracted, it's that I'm just not entirely there: my mind is always half in
the clouds. Other people are the string that holds it down.
Mary provided this link that should, I think, be used more extensively:
http://wikimania2008.wikimedia.org/wiki/Travel_coordination It would
certainly help to know who will be where after Wikimania. I would, for
example, like to get out of Cairo for at least a day, but don't know if
anyone else will be doing that.
Thanks again for all your comments,
--Maria

Re: Visiting Egypt after Wikimania [ In reply to ]
Hey Maria and everyone,

I just happen to be living in Cairo & i'll go to alexandria for
wikimania then go back, so i'd be happy to spend some time with
wikimedians from other countries...
also i'm still at collegge, so the summer is a vacation to me, i may
be free for most of the time unless I get a training or something :)

Re: Visiting Egypt after Wikimania [ In reply to ]
Maria Fanucchi wrote:
> Just for the record, I have confirmed my presence at Wikimania and
> bought plane tickets. If all goes well, I will be in Egypt from the
> 16th to the 28th of July. The first four days will, of course, be
> spent in Alexandria, but for the rest of the time I will be in Cairo.
> I am especially looking forward to visiting the Egyptian Museum,
> particularly with Wikimedians. If anyone else is thinking of doing the
> same, please say so! Perhaps we could arrange a "Wikimedia Takes the
> Egyptian Museum" day. And another day could be entirely devoted to
> Khan El Khalili, and another to the Pyramids, and... and so on.
I think that those of us who have given ourselves a little more time in
Egypt may want to divide our time between Cairo and other places. Those
with shorter times may only be able to visit Cairo. A group effort in
Cairo for the first two or three days may be a worthwhile option, and
those with a little more time could travel a little more in the rest of
that week.
> I'd be glad to explore the city with you guys, wherever you go. The
> important thing is to not leave me alone because if I wander off at,
> say, the Pyramids, there's a good chance I'll shortly find myself
> somewhere in the desert with the Pyramids nowhere in sight.
The Pyramids may be tall enough to be seen for a good distance. Unless
you are an unusually enthusiastic walker it could be enough to face the
Pyramids and walk straight ahead to avoid getting lost. :-)
> It's not that I get easily distracted, it's that I'm just not entirely
> there: my mind is always half in the clouds.
An optimist would take this as a symptom of genius. :-)

Ray