Mailing List Archive

Two ideas for WM '08
Hello,

I have a couple of ideas to communicate to the WM 08 organisers, I
hope some are on this list.

1) It would be cool if there was a sponsor interested in the Wikimedia
Commons Picture of the Year (POTY) competition. Either the finalists
from 2007 could be printed up nice and big and displayed
(<http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Picture_of_the_Year/2007/Finalists>),
or the 2006 & 2007 archives could be burnt onto DVDs, and put in the
schwag bags (<http://download.wikimedia.org/poty/>).

2) Maybe this idea doesn't need any organisation from the organisers,
but the attendees :) but I was thinking it would be cool if there was
either a "schwag swap" or a "schwag auction". People could bring items
they had made themselves (t-shirts, stickers and other items with
funny Wikimedia-related slogans) and then either swap them with
others, or donate them for an auction, for people to bid for. The
money raised could go to a local educational charity, for example.

Thoughts?

cheers,
Brianna

http://modernthings.org/

Re: Two ideas for WM '08 [ In reply to ]
Both sounds nice. By the way what plan do we have now for Wikimania
Award? Brianna, are you interested in join Award organizing, if
happens?

On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 1:51 PM, Brianna Laugher
<brianna.laugher@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a couple of ideas to communicate to the WM 08 organisers, I
> hope some are on this list.
>
> 1) It would be cool if there was a sponsor interested in the Wikimedia
> Commons Picture of the Year (POTY) competition. Either the finalists
> from 2007 could be printed up nice and big and displayed
> (<http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Picture_of_the_Year/2007/Finalists>),
> or the 2006 & 2007 archives could be burnt onto DVDs, and put in the
> schwag bags (<http://download.wikimedia.org/poty/>).
>
> 2) Maybe this idea doesn't need any organisation from the organisers,
> but the attendees :) but I was thinking it would be cool if there was
> either a "schwag swap" or a "schwag auction". People could bring items
> they had made themselves (t-shirts, stickers and other items with
> funny Wikimedia-related slogans) and then either swap them with
> others, or donate them for an auction, for people to bid for. The
> money raised could go to a local educational charity, for example.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> cheers,
> Brianna
>
> --
> They've just been waiting in a mountain for the right moment:
> http://modernthings.org/

KIZU Naoko
http://d.hatena.ne.jp/Britty (in Japanese)

Re: Two ideas for WM '08 [ In reply to ]
On 12/03/2008, Aphaia <aphaia@gmail.com> wrote:
> Both sounds nice. By the way what plan do we have now for Wikimania
> Award? Brianna, are you interested in join Award organizing, if
> happens?

Ummm, maybe.
I observe that the last 2 Wikimania Awards were both pretty
disorganised. They're not well publicised and it's not clear who can
enter (non-Wikimania attendees?), what is the judging criteria, who
are the judges and what is the point of the awards.

If there is a local organiser who wants some help I can probably help with that.

cheers
Brianna

http://modernthings.org/