Mailing List Archive

feedback on streams
http://en.wikizine.org/2007/08/year-2007-week-33-number-79.html

Read the editorial section in the above link. My opinion on the advetising
was the same. As a member of the team i dont minf addmitting that i only
contributed a small amount near the end of the planning and all offsite, and
acknowledge that a lot of work goes into this BUT.

I AGREE it needs to be better. The only stream i could access was the AD
supported stream and even that was poor. For next year i think this needs
to improve. I propose that we have .ogg and .rm feeds live in a Java player
that can be accessed by ALL users with no ads. Also archives should be up
within the hour or less. Considering the Wikipedia community is pretty much
online based online contribution is a major factor in any of our events and
it needs to get better.

Therefore as soon as the result is announced (which is when?? i digress!!)
we start serious work on this on the mailing list and not leave it to the
last minute. IMO we need to do doubly well next year to make up for this
year.

As part of this i propose that we start forming a team of people who are
willing to work on the online side of Wikimania 08 now in preparation for
next year. Also i think online provisions should be considered in bids,
maybe only as a minor point but i think it should be thought about.

Overall next year i dont want to be reading the same but i think ive said
enough. If anyone thinks differently or the same then say. Lets all help
to change it next year.

Mark
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
feedback on streams [ In reply to ]
On 17/08/07, Wikinews Markie <newsmarkie at googlemail.com> wrote:
> http://en.wikizine.org/2007/08/year-2007-week-33-number-79.html
>
> Read the editorial section in the above link. My opinion on the advetising
> was the same. As a member of the team i dont minf addmitting that i only
> contributed a small amount near the end of the planning and all offsite, and
> acknowledge that a lot of work goes into this BUT.
>
> I AGREE it needs to be better. The only stream i could access was the AD
> supported stream and even that was poor. For next year i think this needs
> to improve. I propose that we have .ogg and .rm feeds live in a Java player
> that can be accessed by ALL users with no ads. Also archives should be up
> within the hour or less. Considering the Wikipedia community is pretty much
> online based online contribution is a major factor in any of our events and
> it needs to get better.
>
> Therefore as soon as the result is announced (which is when?? i digress!!)
> we start serious work on this on the mailing list and not leave it to the
> last minute. IMO we need to do doubly well next year to make up for this
> year.
>
> As part of this i propose that we start forming a team of people who are
> willing to work on the online side of Wikimania 08 now in preparation for
> next year. Also i think online provisions should be considered in bids,
> maybe only as a minor point but i think it should be thought about.
>
> Overall next year i dont want to be reading the same but i think ive said
> enough. If anyone thinks differently or the same then say. Lets all help
> to change it next year.
>
> Mark

It's pretty useless to work on it 12 months before. Technically what's
needed is to everything to be setted up and testes before the
beginning of Wikimania, and this is on-site work. Off-line all you can
say is "We need one server for the streaming, x server for the
replication, x camera etc..."

An other thing, is live streamin that important? I mean as long as
sessions are recorded do we really need to have a live streaming?
Everybody will be on a different timezone, in my opinion we should
plan and prepare a proper file streaming with all the sessions
downloadable quickly. And Streaming (file or live) is not a priority
in Wikimania organisation

--
schiste
feedback on streams [ In reply to ]
> An other thing, is live streamin that important? I mean as long as
> sessions are recorded do we really need to have a live streaming?
> Everybody will be on a different timezone, in my opinion we should
> plan and prepare a proper file streaming with all the sessions
> downloadable quickly. And Streaming (file or live) is not a priority
> in Wikimania organisation

I agree that streaming is not at all important. If people can view
lectures one day later, that is definitely good enough. Now my
question is, who is going to go through those HUGE ogg video files
from this year at 300 MB each and split them into their individual
lectures, so they can be viewable?

Chuck
feedback on streams [ In reply to ]

> It's pretty useless to work on it 12 months before. Technically what's
> needed is to everything to be setted up and testes before the
> beginning of Wikimania, and this is on-site work. Off-line all you can
> say is "We need one server for the streaming, x server for the
> replication, x camera etc..."
>
> An other thing, is live streamin that important? I mean as long as
> sessions are recorded do we really need to have a live streaming?
> Everybody will be on a different timezone, in my opinion we should
> plan and prepare a proper file streaming with all the sessions
> downloadable quickly. And Streaming (file or live) is not a priority
> in Wikimania organisation
>

> --
> schiste

im not saying that it is a major part of the conference but im saying its
seen by the people who do use it and if we get feedback like this then were
obviously not doing it well enough. the main groan ive heard so far was the
webpages for the feeds and this can be done offsite and before it. if you
dont want to get involved then thats fine.

i also agree that archives are a problem should be discussed for next year
so as to get them up as quickly as possible.

feedback on streams [ In reply to ]
it's not that hard to do the streaming

have a mixer (I like the mackie 1402vlz pro) take the record output
and use an ipod (1/4" M minijack -> M RCA) adapter and plug that
into the back of a computer that preferably has linux loaded. A
laptop is not recommended as I've never had good experiences using
them for this. you only need 100kbps for the streams as it's not
like you're trying to stream high quality audio. I don't remember
what the video streams require, I think it's 600kbps?

setup ices on it, send it to an icecast server and have relays off
of that. I did it with freematrix radio and at the first conference
and it worked fine except for the random dropouts because everything
was working off wireless only, and we all know how reliable wireless
is...

there is also a java based ogg player that I used with freematrix
radio and I believe I still have.

On the other hand taking the recordings and making decent release
version is a bit more time consuming and requires a team of
dedicated people.

Sorry I didn't help out this year, I had my reasons though.

cheers,
Kyle
feedback on streams [ In reply to ]
yup this is the kind of stuff we are talking about and this is what we want
to sort as soon as possible. will you be helping this year because you
obviously know your stuff??

also the main probs with the streams this year was the user side webpages
but i think ive managed to solve this by getting in contact with greg
maxwell about the wikimedia player used on commons that should work on every
concievable platform. couple this with the one i set up last minute this
year and iron out the creases i think were doing well.

just wait to see where it is then.

thanks
mark

feedback on streams [ In reply to ]
On 8/17/07, Christophe Henner <christophe.henner at gmail.com> wrote:

> An other thing, is live streamin that important? I mean as long as
> sessions are recorded do we really need to have a live streaming?
> Everybody will be on a different timezone, in my opinion we should
> plan and prepare a proper file streaming with all the sessions
> downloadable quickly. And Streaming (file or live) is not a priority
> in Wikimania organisation

I think live streaming is important, and not just for Wikimania. It can be
useful outside of the yearly conferences,
I'm sure you will agree.

As for it's priority to Wikimania and the Wikimania org, it depends on what
kind of a
conference we are trying to foster. There are many people who can't attend
in person, but it would
be great if they could interact in the sessions and with the live attendees.

Just my 0.02.

Gerald
feedback on streams [ In reply to ]
On 8/25/07, Gerald A <geraldablists at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 8/17/07, Christophe Henner <christophe.henner at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > An other thing, is live streamin that important? I mean as long as
> > sessions are recorded do we really need to have a live streaming?
> > Everybody will be on a different timezone, in my opinion we should
> > plan and prepare a proper file streaming with all the sessions
> > downloadable quickly. And Streaming (file or live) is not a priority
> > in Wikimania organisation
>

> I think live streaming is important, and not just for Wikimania. It can be
> useful outside of the yearly conferences,
> I'm sure you will agree.
>
> As for it's priority to Wikimania and the Wikimania org, it depends on
> what kind of a
> conference we are trying to foster. There are many people who can't attend
> in person, but it would
> be great if they could interact in the sessions and with the live
> attendees.

I think this was among the ideas brainstormed for Wikimania 2007.

Just my 0.02.

> Gerald

Casey Brown
Cbrown1023