Mailing List Archive

Sponsorship letter
Hello,

I wrote here a sponsorship letter, largely based on the one wrote last
year. I tried to tweak it to fit this year situation.

Please have a look at it and comment. I changed the amounts of
sponsorship according to values I found on the wikimania site. There may
be some mistakes left and possibly language to improve :-)

Please give a feedback.

Once we are happy with the letter, can you Pyb and Schiste, help with
sending them to the various names you came up with ?

One thing I still need to know is which specific events we can still
propose for sponsorship.

Is someone specifically covering
* the breakfasts
* the lunches
* the big party
* the sponsor party
* the hacking days
* the citizen unconference
* the wikireaders
* the awards (some already covered)
* the scholarship (aside from CHT)
* or whatever else we could sell...

I know that I already got partial answers for this.
Just need a clear recap

ant
Sponsorship letter [ In reply to ]
Florence Devouard a ?crit :

[...]

Where is the letter ?

--
~Pyb
-------------- next part --------------
Sponsorship letter [ In reply to ]
Pierre Beaudouin wrote:
> Florence Devouard a ?crit :
>> Hello,
>>
>> I wrote here a sponsorship letter, largely based on the one wrote last
>> year. I tried to tweak it to fit this year situation.
>>
>> Please have a look at it and comment. I changed the amounts of
>> sponsorship according to values I found on the wikimania site. There
>> may be some mistakes left and possibly language to improve :-)
>>
>> Please give a feedback.
>>
>> Once we are happy with the letter, can you Pyb and Schiste, help with
>> sending them to the various names you came up with ?
>>
>> One thing I still need to know is which specific events we can still
>> propose for sponsorship.
>>
>> Is someone specifically covering
>> * the breakfasts
>> * the lunches
>> * the big party
>> * the sponsor party
>> * the hacking days
>> * the citizen unconference
>> * the wikireaders
>> * the awards (some already covered)
>> * the scholarship (aside from CHT)
>> * or whatever else we could sell...
>>

>> I know that I already got partial answers for this.
>> Just need a clear recap
>>

>> ant
>>

> Where is the letter ?
>
> --
> ~Pyb

Arggggg

Here:http://wikimania2007.wikimedia.org/wiki/Sponsorship_letter

Thinking about it, we can also mention that presents (for awards) would
be welcome.

ant
Sponsorship letter [ In reply to ]

Florence Devouard wrote:
> Pierre Beaudouin wrote:
>> Florence Devouard a ?crit :
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I wrote here a sponsorship letter, largely based on the one wrote last
>>> year. I tried to tweak it to fit this year situation.
>>>
>>> Please have a look at it and comment. I changed the amounts of
>>> sponsorship according to values I found on the wikimania site. There
>>> may be some mistakes left and possibly language to improve :-)
>>>
>>> Please give a feedback.
>>>
>>> Once we are happy with the letter, can you Pyb and Schiste, help with
>>> sending them to the various names you came up with ?
>>>
>>> One thing I still need to know is which specific events we can still
>>> propose for sponsorship.
>>>
>>> Is someone specifically covering
>>> * the breakfasts
>>> * the lunches
>>> * the big party
>>> * the sponsor party
>>> * the hacking days
>>> * the citizen unconference
>>> * the wikireaders
>>> * the awards (some already covered)
>>> * the scholarship (aside from CHT)
>>> * or whatever else we could sell...
>>>

>>> I know that I already got partial answers for this.
>>> Just need a clear recap
>>>

>>> ant
>>>

>> Where is the letter ?
>>
>> --
>> ~Pyb
>

> Arggggg
>
> Here:http://wikimania2007.wikimedia.org/wiki/Sponsorship_letter
>
> Thinking about it, we can also mention that presents (for awards) would
> be welcome.
>
> ant

I like the letter.

One question though, would we accept "donations" from "corporations"
that are, well, not "good" ?.

For example: I don't know how I would feel getting publicity from
Microsoft at Wikimania 07.

Regards,

- --
Ing. Damian Finol
Ingeniero en Inform?tica
Caracas, Venezuela.
Sponsorship letter [ In reply to ]
Damian Finol wrote:

>>> Where is the letter ?
>>>
>>> --
>>> ~Pyb
>>
>> Arggggg
>>
>> Here:http://wikimania2007.wikimedia.org/wiki/Sponsorship_letter
>>
>> Thinking about it, we can also mention that presents (for awards) would
>> be welcome.
>>
>> ant

> I like the letter.
>
> One question though, would we accept "donations" from "corporations"
> that are, well, not "good" ?.
>
> For example: I don't know how I would feel getting publicity from
> Microsoft at Wikimania 07.
>
> Regards,
>
> - --
> Ing. Damian Finol

Good question...

Question that goes beyond just Wikimania. I think it would be perfectly
fine getting a sponsorship from Bill and Melinda Foundation. From
Microsoft...

I suggest people to go and ask for sponsors use their good sense. If
asking to a Foundation and a corporation we generally feel fine toward,
just go ahead. If they think of contacting a corporation which is
ethically questionnable for us, better ask before and measure feedback ?

I would not write to Microsoft myself.

ant

I still am looking for this information :-)

ant
Sponsorship letter [ In reply to ]

> > One question though, would we accept "donations" from "corporations"
> > that are, well, not "good" ?.
> >
> > For example: I don't know how I would feel getting publicity from
> > Microsoft at Wikimania 07.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > - --
> > Ing. Damian Finol
>
> Good question...
>
> Question that goes beyond just Wikimania. I think it would be perfectly
> fine getting a sponsorship from Bill and Melinda Foundation. From
> Microsoft...
>
> I suggest people to go and ask for sponsors use their good sense. If
> asking to a Foundation and a corporation we generally feel fine toward,
> just go ahead. If they think of contacting a corporation which is
> ethically questionnable for us, better ask before and measure feedback ?
>
> I would not write to Microsoft myself.
>
> ant

I proposed on IRC to ask Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, and I
still think it would be a good idea. Their goals meet ours in some
points, in my opinion we should ask them, but, alas, I'm a little
scared of the reaction of the community.

--
schiste
Sponsorship letter [ In reply to ]
Christophe Henner wrote:
>>> One question though, would we accept "donations" from "corporations"
>>> that are, well, not "good" ?.
>>>
>>> For example: I don't know how I would feel getting publicity from
>>> Microsoft at Wikimania 07.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> - --
>>> Ing. Damian Finol
>> Good question...
>>
>> Question that goes beyond just Wikimania. I think it would be perfectly
>> fine getting a sponsorship from Bill and Melinda Foundation. From
>> Microsoft...
>>
>> I suggest people to go and ask for sponsors use their good sense. If
>> asking to a Foundation and a corporation we generally feel fine toward,
>> just go ahead. If they think of contacting a corporation which is
>> ethically questionnable for us, better ask before and measure feedback ?
>>
>> I would not write to Microsoft myself.
>>
>> ant
>>

> I proposed on IRC to ask Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, and I
> still think it would be a good idea. Their goals meet ours in some
> points, in my opinion we should ask them, but, alas, I'm a little
> scared of the reaction of the community.

How did people react online ?

Ey, what about launching a troll on foundation-l (as in "what is Bill
and Melinda were giving us a bit of money ?") and see where it goes ?

ant
Sponsorship letter [ In reply to ]

> How did people react online ?
>
> Ey, what about launching a troll on foundation-l (as in "what is Bill
> and Melinda were giving us a bit of money ?") and see where it goes ?
>
> ant

something between "good joke" and "he is the devil" alas. I didn't
raised this idea on <s>troll-l</s> foundation-l, it would a too big
troll, a funny one, but still a big troll.

Whatever, I'm really thinking about mailing them, just in case.

--
schiste
Sponsorship letter [ In reply to ]

Pyb just gave me this url http://www.gatesfoundation.org/ForGrantSeekers/

--
schiste
Sponsorship letter [ In reply to ]
2007/3/27, Christophe Henner <christophe.henner at gmail.com>:

> On 27/03/07, Christophe Henner <christophe.henner at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >

> > > How did people react online ?
> > >
> > > Ey, what about launching a troll on foundation-l (as in "what is Bill
> > > and Melinda were giving us a bit of money ?") and see where it goes ?
> > >
> > > ant
> > >

> > something between "good joke" and "he is the devil" alas. I didn't
> > raised this idea on <s>troll-l</s> foundation-l, it would a too big
> > troll, a funny one, but still a big troll.
> >
> > Whatever, I'm really thinking about mailing them, just in case.
> >
> > --
> > schiste
> >

> Pyb just gave me this url http://www.gatesfoundation.org/ForGrantSeekers/
>
> --
> schiste

It seems difficult to apply for Wikimania. May be for a DVD or the
multilinguism aspect of our projects.

FYI, Expedia and Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company have been
contacted yesterday.

Next one on my list are Western Union and Sony.

--
Pierre
Sponsorship letter [ In reply to ]
http://wikimania2006.wikimedia.org/wiki/Sponsors here are the last
year sponsors, we should try to find the contacts

--
schiste
Sponsorship letter [ In reply to ]
On 3/28/07, christophe.henner at wikimedia.fr <christophe.henner at gmail.com> wrote:
> http://wikimania2006.wikimedia.org/wiki/Sponsors here are the last
> year sponsors, we should try to find the contacts

As a sponsor, I would like to suggest that next year more effort is
made to ensure all sponsors are listed on pages like this. Wikia and
Coca Cola were also sponsors but are not on that page. I don't know
how many others are missing but it's hardly likely to encourage them
to want to be a sponsor again if this is how they are treated.

Angela
Sponsorship letter [ In reply to ]
Thanks for Wikia. And we will deal with this carefully this year.

THD