set up the registration form?

KIZU Naoko
Wikiquote: http://wikiquote.org
* habent enim emolumentum in labore suo *

--
KIZU Naoko
Wikiquote: http://wikiquote.org
* habent enim emolumentum in labore suo *
Call for translation of CFP [ In reply to ]
I hope you are talking about just the sitenotice on the wikimania website?

Lodewijk

Call for translation of CFP [ In reply to ]
No, on a wikis ... because wikimania is about all wikimedia projects :-)

At least that is my idea ... and since wikimania is about community:
aren't all projects a huge wikimedia family? So why should anybody have
problems in helping their family to go ahead well?

Ciao, Sabine

Call for translation of CFP [ In reply to ]
Call for translation of CFP [ In reply to ]
On 3/5/07, Aphaia <aphaia at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> and she suggested
> if we could use sitenotice to call for translators.

Setting a note in the sitenotice it is not an easy thing. Actually I
do not know if there is a sitenotice that can be set globally on all
project.

Sitenotice change should be asked to the community of each project and
requires an administrator to do the change (I think that a steward can
also do that, but this can rise nasty objection - do you remember the
discussion for the sitenotice during the fundraising?)

For the moment what I suggest is to announce on the translation list,
on pgae about translation on meta and on as much as possible Village
pump pages (or how they are called on the various project),

In my opinion it could be request to add a note on the sitenotice to
ask people to read the Request_For_Partecipation or to register to
Wikimania, but not to put a not to ask to translate a page.

And if any request is made, it is important that this is approved in
every required place and agreement for that reached. (this to avoid
the very common discussion)

AnyFIle
Call for translation of CFP [ In reply to ]
Any File schreef:
> On 3/5/07, Aphaia <aphaia at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>> and she suggested
>> if we could use sitenotice to call for translators.
>>

> Setting a note in the sitenotice it is not an easy thing. Actually I
> do not know if there is a sitenotice that can be set globally on all
> project.
>
> Sitenotice change should be asked to the community of each project and
> requires an administrator to do the change (I think that a steward can
> also do that, but this can rise nasty objection - do you remember the
> discussion for the sitenotice during the fundraising?)
>
> For the moment what I suggest is to announce on the translation list,
> on pgae about translation on meta and on as much as possible Village
> pump pages (or how they are called on the various project),
>
> In my opinion it could be request to add a note on the sitenotice to
> ask people to read the Request_For_Partecipation or to register to
> Wikimania, but not to put a not to ask to translate a page.
>
> And if any request is made, it is important that this is approved in
> every required place and agreement for that reached. (this to avoid
> the very common discussion)
>
> AnyFIle
Hoi,
How do you propose that this is negotiated with projects in 250
languages ? The issue is that there is a need for cooperation in all
languages. Having the possibility to get the necessary attention is what
is called for. Having a never-ending struggle of getting attention for
translations needed for a Foundation comunication is exactly what
prevents proper communication.

The projects cannot have it both ways; there is either sufficient
collaboration on translations and if there is not, this collaboration
can be actively sought or there is no way that communities can be or
will be informed about WMF communications. When the WMF lays down the
law on an issue, the notion that it has not been translated is no excuse
when a community does not help in the translation from English.

The notion that there are people who object has always been true. Is it
a reason to prevent necessary information to go out to the communities ?

Thanks,
GerardM
Call for translation of CFP [ In reply to ]
On 3/5/07, Any File <anysomefile at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/5/07, Aphaia <aphaia at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
> > and she suggested
> > if we could use sitenotice to call for translators.
> >

> Setting a note in the sitenotice it is not an easy thing. Actually I
> do not know if there is a sitenotice that can be set globally on all
> project.

Well, I think, technically it is feasible, at least I think the last
fundraising sitenotice was set globally by Brion (and then subject to
[overriding] translation by individual projects).
Whether it is appropriate is another question.
Michael
Call for translation of CFP [ In reply to ]
On 05/03/07, Michael Bimmler <mbimmler at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/5/07, Any File <anysomefile at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 3/5/07, Aphaia <aphaia at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > > and she suggested
> > > if we could use sitenotice to call for translators.
> > >

> > Setting a note in the sitenotice it is not an easy thing. Actually I
> > do not know if there is a sitenotice that can be set globally on all
> > project.
> >
> Well, I think, technically it is feasible, at least I think the last
> fundraising sitenotice was set globally by Brion (and then subject to
> [overriding] translation by individual projects).
> Whether it is appropriate is another question.
> Michael

Even if it's possible I don't think it would be a good idea. Wikimania
does concern the wikimedia communities, not all the personns reading
Wikipedia/other project.
But, I'm already doing (and more) on fr. We can speak about it on some
village pump.

--
schiste
Call for translation of CFP [ In reply to ]
Hello, thank you for your all feedbacks.

On 3/6/07, christophe.henner at wikimedia.fr <christophe.henner at gmail.com> wrote:
> Even if it's possible I don't think it would be a good idea. Wikimania
> does concern the wikimedia communities, not all the personns reading
> Wikipedia/other project.
> But, I'm already doing (and more) on fr. We can speak about it on some
> village pump.

... and also for your posting to the local community. Personally I
think CfP is better to be translated, if the program committee is
going to accept the speakers who have difficulties to write up their
submission in English, but it seems not the trend.

Considering your inputs, we are better to concentrate other
translations and post a brief note to the local pages and lists? For
tracking purpose, Wikimania website has a "distribution" subpage for
each important document. For CfP, the page is [[Call for
participation/distrubution]]. If you helped to disseminate the news
already, please consider to list your distributions on that page!
http://wikimania2007.wikimedia.org/wiki/Call_for_Participation/distribution

The boilerplate in English would be helpful (from the page above).
==Wikimania 2007==
Hi! I'm sorry I don't know your language but [[Wikimania]] team would
like you to present your local Wikipedia projects at the international
Wikimania conference in Taipei! Have a look at the [[wm2007:Call for
Participation]]!

And it would be much nicer in your own language :)