Is there a way to change the name from Wikipeadia to something else. The
word is use extensively through the wiki.

John
Re: Wikipeadia Name Change [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 15:43:33 -0800, John Spikowski <john@v360v.com> wrote:
> Is there a way to change the name from Wikipeadia to something else. The
> word is use extensively through the wiki.

1) Edit LocalSettings.php
2) Set $wgSitename to whatever you feel like.
3) Hope the version you originally installed was at least 1.3.6, so
you don't suffer from the fixed bug where this change is not reflected
in some/many parts of the UI:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki_FAQ#I.27ve_changed_settings_in_LocalSettings.php.2C_such_as_.24wgSitename.2C_but_they_don.27t_show_up_in_my_browser.3F_Why_not.3F
4) If you *do* have the above problem, either revert to default (with
the maintenance script mentioned) or manually edit all affected
MediaWiki: pages in your wiki.

--
Rowan Collins BSc
[IMSoP]
Re: Wikipeadia Name Change [ In reply to ]
On Dec 6, 2004, at 3:43 PM, John Spikowski wrote:
> Is there a way to change the name from Wikipeadia to something else.
> The
> word is use extensively through the wiki.

In the current 1.3 release:

$ grep -i wikipedia Language.php
# See http://meta.wikipedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki_namespace
NS_WIKIPEDIA => $wgMetaNamespace,
NS_WIKIPEDIA_TALK => $wgMetaNamespace . '_talk',
"mainpagedocfooter" => "Please see
[http://meta.wikipedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki_i18n documentation on
customizing the interface]
and the [http://meta.wikipedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki_User%27s_Guide User's
Guide] for usage and configuration help.",
"aboutwikipedia" => "About {{SITENAME}}",
"fromwikipedia" => "From {{SITENAME}}",
'wikipediapage' => 'View project page',
'searchingwikipedia' => "Searching {{SITENAME}}",

As you can see the only appearances of "Wikipedia" are in some of the
internal tokens (most of which have in fact already been changed in
1.4) and in the URL to the help pages added to the initial main page.

Some of the localizations have not been thoroughly genericized yet (but
they should be much better in 1.4 than they are in 1.3). You can do
some search and replace if necessary.

If you configured your wiki to have the $wgSitename = 'Wikipedia', then
obviously you'll want to change that or, indeed, 'Wikipedia' will
appear everywhere. If your database comes from an older version the
word might have gotten stuck into the messages written in the database.
You can use maintenance/rebuildMessages.php to re-import them. (This
issue is noted in the FAQ.)

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
RE: Wikipeadia Name Change [ In reply to ]
Thank you Brion and Rowan for your comments and helpful instructions. I hope
after a time working with the code, I'll be able to give back to the list.

John