Thanks for help Leo

--
http://www.abra144.org/
Re: Language Issue [ In reply to ]
On Dec 1, 2004, at 11:59 AM, Leonide Principe wrote:
> I have configured a MediaWIki script in our server, and it work very
> well.
> The only problem is the default language that I choose for it. This is
> Portuguese and all letters with accent or special letters dont appears.

The letters in page text, or the letters in the user interface text?
Can you confirm that the browser is reading in UTF-8? Can you confirm
that the LanguagePt.php file was not corrupted on upload? (A
"conversion" from for instance MacRoman to ISO-8859-1 will irreversible
corrupt the data.)

If your site is public, can you give the URL so we can examine it?

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: Language Issue [ In reply to ]
Hi Brion,
thanks for helping. The problem is the "conversion" from for instance
MacRoman to ISO-8859-1. I can to upload the zipfile of script in the
server and unzip there. I use Mac platform.
I am testing MediaWiki for my personal use, but I want to collaborate
with international Wikipedia opening an issue about Amazon
Again, thanks, Leo

Re: Language Issue [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 17:52:55 -0800, Brion Vibber <brion@pobox.com> wrote:
> The letters in page text, or the letters in the user interface text?
> Can you confirm that the browser is reading in UTF-8? Can you confirm
> that the LanguagePt.php file was not corrupted on upload? (A
> "conversion" from for instance MacRoman to ISO-8859-1 will irreversible
> corrupt the data.)

Maybe the language files should be re-written to use a PHP function to
make the character, as opposed to depending on lack of binary
conversions? It seems like this problem is coming up quite a bit.

-- Jamie
http://endeavour.zapto.org/astro73/
Thank you to JosephM for inviting me to Gmail!
Re: Language Issue [ In reply to ]
On Dec 4, 2004, at 6:40 PM, Jamie Bliss wrote:
> Maybe the language files should be re-written to use a PHP function to
> make the character, as opposed to depending on lack of binary
> conversions? It seems like this problem is coming up quite a bit.

If you're corrupting data on upload, you're going to have problems in
many places.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: Language Issue [ In reply to ]
Jamie Bliss <astronouth7303@gmail.com> wrote:
> Brion Vibber <brion@pobox.com> wrote:
[...]
> > that the LanguagePt.php file was not corrupted on upload? (A
> > "conversion" from for instance MacRoman to ISO-8859-1 will irreversible
> > corrupt the data.)
>
> Maybe the language files should be re-written to use a PHP function to
> make the character, as opposed to depending on lack of binary
> conversions? It seems like this problem is coming up quite a bit.

Well, that seems a bit overkill, in a way; perhaps there's somewhere
we could place a note reminding people that if they are unzipping and
then FTP'ing the files, they should instruct their FTP client to
upload in "binary" mode. (I am, of course, only guessing that this
would solve the problem, but I imagine the conversion is happening
because the client is being left to guess that it's text, and what
encoding it's in; I suppose it could also be the unzipping program
that introduced the corruption, though...)

--
Rowan Collins BSc
[IMSoP]