Is it possible to have mediawiki load content from an external file that
resides on the same server? Something akin to an include, not an http URL.

If having mediawiki load a file as content is not possible, is it
possible to have it load content given a URL (http or other)?

I ask because I have some dynamically generated content I want on my
mediawiki but the content changes almost every day.

Thanks,

Jc
Re: Dynamically load content? [ In reply to ]
What is the reason to put the content in your wiki? You can make a
Special page that loads and displays the content, and then it can have
the same look and feel as the rest of the wiki, but the data within the
page will not be indexed, and so it will not be part of searches that
your users perform.

regards,
-Nick

Re: Dynamically load content? [ In reply to ]
Nick Triantos wrote:

> What is the reason to put the content in your wiki?

As a sort of knowledge sharing tool. But some of the content is
documentation. But the documentation is generated from source code or
other such things (like database schemas).

I could just copy and paste the documentation but then any updates to
the original would mean that I need to re-enter the documentation into
my wiki. I would rather that the wiki pick up the documentation from the
original, eliminating any duplication of work and affording
up-to-the-minute accuracy.

The style of the page would be something like this:

[user comments here]
[.Warning: the contents below are dynamically loaded from source. Do not
edit. Any edits will be lost]]
[load dynamic contents]

> You can make a
> Special page that loads and displays the content, and then it can have
> the same look and feel as the rest of the wiki, but the data within the
> page will not be indexed, and so it will not be part of searches that
> your users perform.

Can you tell me more about that 'Special' page? It sounds interesting
but not having the contents indexed would be a big minus.

Thanks,

Jc
Re: Dynamically load content? [ In reply to ]

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Write_your_own_MediaWiki_extension

> I ask because I have some dynamically generated content I want on my
> mediawiki but the content changes almost every day.

Beware of caching problems.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: Dynamically load content? [ In reply to ]
Brion Vibber wrote:

> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Write_your_own_MediaWiki_extension

Perfect! Just what I need. Thanks Brion!

Jc