Mailing List Archive

Link List ?
I would like to know what you think is he best way to do a list of links
with description ?

I did for example:

* LaTeX - Fortgeschrittene Anwendungen
[ftp://ftp.fernuni-hagen.de/pub/pdf/urz-broschueren/broschueren/a0279510.pdf]

* LaTeX Kurzbeschreibung
l2kurz.pdf [http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/info/lshort/german/l2kurz.pdf]

but that is complete unsatifactory.
1. The ftp:// ist displayed completely, whereas with http:// only a
numbered mark is shown - I need the standard HTML Behavior instead:
Link description with link behind the description.

2. The List is left with the next line. So that the next item is not
indented anymore. And there seems to be no way to put everything in one <p>
tag, as one would do in HTML ?

Please help me to get a decent link list layout with mediawiki. (How to do
this in HTML with CSS is clear...)

What I did in the past with simple HTML: UL LI environments and CSS could be
seen here:
http://www.cqa.de/partner/
http://www.matthiaspospiech.de/latex/links/

Matthias

--
---------------------------------
www.matthiaspospiech.de
Re: Link List ? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 20:35:25 +0100, Matthias Pospiech <pospiech@q2x.net> wrote:
> I would like to know what you think is he best way to do a list of links
> with description ?

Please see http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Edit - particularly
under "Links, URLs"

For your example you need:
* [ftp://ftp.fernuni-hagen.de/pub/pdf/urz-broschueren/broschueren/a0279510.pdf
LaTeX - Fortgeschrittene Anwendungen
* [http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/info/lshort/german/l2kurz.pdf LaTeX
Kurzbeschreibung]

Note that the link descriptions are placed *inside* the brackets (so
the software knows to associate them with the link) and that there is
no blank line between the list items (since this will cause the
software to begin a new list). If you want to have linebreaks within
your list items (as some of your examples have), you need to use "<br
/>" to tell the software where to place them.

By the way, does anyone know why that ftp link doesn't get auto-numbered?

--
Rowan Collins BSc
[IMSoP]
Re: Link List ? [ In reply to ]
On Nov 25, 2004, at 12:49 PM, Rowan Collins wrote:
> By the way, does anyone know why that ftp link doesn't get
> auto-numbered?

Auto-numbering is not enabled for FTP links. I'm not sure why.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: Link List ? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 13:28:07 -0800, Brion Vibber <brion@pobox.com> wrote:
> On Nov 25, 2004, at 12:49 PM, Rowan Collins wrote:
> > By the way, does anyone know why that ftp link doesn't get
> > auto-numbered?
>
> Auto-numbering is not enabled for FTP links. I'm not sure why.
>
> -- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

HTTP links are generally references, while FTP links are more of the
subject? Just a guess.

-- Jamie
http://endeavour.zapto.org/astro73/
Thank you to JosephM for inviting me to Gmail!