perhaps rename the name of the mysql database. But I also see things
like, for example, that in Special:Allmessages, the "wikititlesuffix"
string is changed from the default of "{{SITENAME}}" to my wiki name. I
don't know why, I certainly never changed a bunch of those system
messages, were they set to include the literal name of my site when the
databases were first created?

thanks for any advice,
-Nick
Re: Renaming a mediawiki? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 11:36:00 -0800, Nick Triantos <nick@triantos.com> wrote:
> Does anyone know the cleanest way to rename a whole wiki? I'm guessing
> that I'll change LocalSettings.php to update the $wgSiteName

Yes, theoretically, that's it.

> perhaps rename the name of the mysql database.

This shouldn't efffect anything. IIRC, the default is "wikidb" anyway.

> ... changed from the default of "{{SITENAME}}" to my wiki name. I
> don't know why, I certainly never changed a bunch of those system
> messages, were they set to include the literal name of my site when the
> databases were first created?

Yes, this was a bug in earlier versions of the software (as in, I
believed it's fixed in version > 1.3.5, but that's no good for you,
because you've installed already) where lots of messages had variables
substituted in during the install, rather than referring to the
variables like {{SITENAME}}. AFAIK, there are two 'solutions' to this:
1) do a search and replace, either using SQL, or manually editing the
MediaWiki: pages, as listed on Special:Allmessages
2) upgrade the software (recommended anyway, since a number of
security vulnerabilities have been fixed recently) and then reset all
the messages to their defaults, using
"maintenance/rebuildMessages.php". Obviously, you'll then need to
re-customise anything in the MediaWiki: namespace that you had
customised.

Note that I've never done this myself, but from memory of what I've
read, that's about the shape of it.

--
Rowan Collins BSc
[IMSoP]
Re: Renaming a mediawiki? [ In reply to ]
yes, $wgSitename is the name of the site. However, all the template
messages were changed by the installation script (probably for
performance reasons). So if you change $wgSitename, you will probably
have to change all the templates, too.

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 11:36:00 -0800, Nick Triantos <nick@triantos.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Does anyone know the cleanest way to rename a whole wiki? I'm guessing
> that I'll change LocalSettings.php to update the $wgSiteName, and also
> perhaps rename the name of the mysql database. But I also see things
> like, for example, that in Special:Allmessages, the "wikititlesuffix"
> string is changed from the default of "{{SITENAME}}" to my wiki name. I
> don't know why, I certainly never changed a bunch of those system
> messages, were they set to include the literal name of my site when the
> databases were first created?
>
> thanks for any advice,
> -Nick

http://endeavour.zapto.org/astro73/
Thank you to JosephM for inviting me to Gmail!
Re: Renaming a mediawiki? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 2004-24-11 at 11:36 -0800, Nick Triantos wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Does anyone know the cleanest way to rename a whole wiki? I'm guessing
> that I'll change LocalSettings.php to update the $wgSiteName, and also
> perhaps rename the name of the mysql database.

You probably don't have to change the name of the mysql database, unless
the name on the browser cookies bothers you a lot.

> But I also see things
> like, for example, that in Special:Allmessages, the "wikititlesuffix"
> string is changed from the default of "{{SITENAME}}" to my wiki name. I
> don't know why, I certainly never changed a bunch of those system
> messages, were they set to include the literal name of my site when the
> databases were first created?

Yes.

You should run rebuildMessage.php in the maintenance directory. That
should refresh the messages namespace with the stuff you have in
Language.php. Note that this will stomp on any database messages that
you did customize in the database.

~ESP

--
Evan Prodromou .O.