Mailing List Archive

PHP 4.2.x issues
Hi,

From mediawiki's README:
> The code is written in PHP. Version 4.3.2 or higher is
> recommended. There are known issues with early 4.2.x
> releases.

What issues are these, exactly? I would like to install mediawiki in
sourceforge, but their version of php is php-4.2.2-17.2. Can I install it
anyway? How severe are the issues mentioned in README?

TIA,
Thiago

--
() ascii ribbon campaign - against html mail
/\ - against microsoft attachments
Re: PHP 4.2.x issues [ In reply to ]
I am out of the office until Nov. 30.
Re: PHP 4.2.x issues [ In reply to ]
On Nov 19, 2004, at 5:42 PM, Thiago F.G. Albuquerque wrote:
>> From mediawiki's README:
>> The code is written in PHP. Version 4.3.2 or higher is
>> recommended. There are known issues with early 4.2.x
>> releases.
>
> What issues are these, exactly?

4.2.0 and 4.2.1 had serious security vulnerabilities, so avoid them!
4.2.2 was the last of the 4.2.x series, iirc. (Look up the release
notes on php.net if you want details.)

> I would like to install mediawiki in sourceforge, but their version
> of php is php-4.2.2-17.2. Can I install it anyway? How severe are the
> issues mentioned in README?

Sourceforge's project web servers seem to be running PHP 4.1.2,
actually. (The login shell server has 4.2.2.) It should generally work
(several projects run MediaWikis on their SF project accounts), but you
may or may not have mysterious login session problems and it might be
really slow depending on how the servers are faring.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: PHP 4.2.x issues [ In reply to ]
I am out of the office until Nov. 30.
Re: PHP 4.2.x issues [ In reply to ]
According to the mailer, they're updating to this:

Fedora Linux: Fedora Core 2
Linux kernel 2.6.x
GNU libc 2.3.3
Apache 2.0.51
Perl 5.8.3
PHP 4.3.8
Python 2.3.3
Tcl 8.4.5

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 23:42:35 -0200 (BRST), Thiago F.G. Albuquerque
<tfga@terra.com.br> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> >From mediawiki's README:
> > The code is written in PHP. Version 4.3.2 or higher is
> > recommended. There are known issues with early 4.2.x
> > releases.
>
> What issues are these, exactly? I would like to install mediawiki in
> sourceforge, but their version of php is php-4.2.2-17.2. Can I install it
> anyway? How severe are the issues mentioned in README?
>
> TIA,
> Thiago
>
> --
> () ascii ribbon campaign - against html mail
> /\ - against microsoft attachments

http://endeavour.zapto.org/astro73/
Thank you to JosephM for inviting me to Gmail!
Re: PHP 4.2.x issues [ In reply to ]
SourceForge's servers are being updated "in the last week of November"
and will have "PHP 4.3.8" on them, according to the last Sitewide
Update for project admins. So if you just wait a few weeks you'll have
PHP 4.3.8 to play with, and hence should have no problems...

Cian