come up with new pages rather than the help information!

How can I fix this?

Chris Lott
Re: Help files? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 14:46:03 -0900, Chris Lott <chris.lott@gmail.com> wrote:
> I installed MediaWiki but it doesn't seem to have (or be properly
> finding) the Help files and other files that I assume come with the
> install. I am running version 1.3.8 on FreeBSD.

The built-in help feature is still under development - which is to say
firstly that the content of the Help:* pages themselves is under
development; but, more importantly, that there is currently no
automatic feature for importing them, or creating them on install.
There isn't even a way of saying "get the Help: pages now, please"
yet, I'm afraid.

Instead, you will just have to look at the master copy on "meta"
(http://meta.wikimedia.org/Help:Contents) and/or copy and paste the
source of the pages you think you really really need into your own
wiki. Hopefully, someone will write a clever way of doing a
mass-import of these soon, but I have no idea what the value of "soon"
may be.

"We apologise for any inconvenience caused." :)

--
Rowan Collins BSc
[IMSoP]
Re: Help files? [ In reply to ]
> The built-in help feature is still under development - which is to say
> firstly that the content of the Help:* pages themselves is under
> development; but, more importantly, that there is currently no
> automatic feature for importing them, or creating them on install.
> There isn't even a way of saying "get the Help: pages now, please"
> yet, I'm afraid.

Thanks for the quick response... it seems pretty clear that at the
very least the formatting help when editing an entry and some
completely foundational help pages should be included... but for now I
guess I'll just start scraping the things I need...

Chris Lott
Re: Help files? [ In reply to ]
RE: Help files? [ In reply to ]
I guess that would be the Special:Import function which will be implemented
in 1.4 according to bugzilla.

/Sten

---

Re: Help files? [ In reply to ]
On Nov 18, 2004, at 4:51 PM, Paul Johnson wrote:
> Which begs the question: When will Special:Import work?

When someone gets around to finishing it. It's on my to-do list but is
not a high priority. Volunteers?

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: Help files? [ In reply to ]
(Extracted from http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wiki_on_a_stick#Tidy_up )

To get a help system, edit your following two pages to have
redirections to "meta":

Help:Editing
#REDIRECT [[MetaWikiPedia:Help:Editing]]

Help:Contents
#REDIRECT [[MetaWikiPedia:Help:Contents]]

-- Zigger