Mailing List Archive

Problems installing MediaWiki 1.3.7 on RH AS2.1 Linux
I've beaten my head against the wall for a few days, and give
up, so I'm requesting help.

Here is the config screen:

Please include all of the lines below when reporting installation problems.
Checking environment...

* PHP 4.3.2: ok
* PHP server API is apache2filter; using ugly URLs (index.php?title=Page_Title)
* Have XML / Latin1-UTF-8 conversion support.
* PHP's memory_limit is 20M. If this is too low, installation may fail!
* Have zlib support; enabling output compression.
* Found GD graphics library built-in, image thumbnailing will be enabled if you enable uploads.
* Installation directory: /var/www/html/wiki
* Script URI path: /wiki
* Connected as root (automatic)
* Connected to database... 4.1.7-standard; enabling MySQL 4 enhancements
* Database wikidb exists
* There are already MediaWiki tables in this database. Checking if updates are needed...

...ipblocks is up to date.
...already have interwiki table
...indexes seem up to 20031107 standards
...have linkscc table.
...linkscc is up to date, or does not exist. Good.
...have hitcounter table.
Converting links table to ID-ID...
Sorry! The wiki is experiencing some technical difficulties, and cannot contact the database server.

[XX@XX wiki]# uname -a
Linux XX 2.4.21-15.ELsmp #1 SMP Thu Apr 22 00:18:24 EDT 2004 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

Relevant packages:
MySQL-client-4.1.7-0
php-mysql-4.3.2-11.ent
MySQL-server-4.1.7-0
httpd-2.0.46-32.ent
php-4.3.2-11.ent
php-mysql-4.3.2-11.ent

I've googled the mailing list archives and attempted to fix any
problems I see there. As you can see the database is getting created
and I've made sure that the wikiuser id has db grant access:

[XX@XX wiki]# mysqlshow
+-----------+
| Databases |
+-----------+
| mysql |
| test |
| wikidb |

mysql> update mysql.user set password = OLD_PASSWORD('XXXXXX')
-> where host = 'localhost' and user = 'wikiuser';

mysql 3286 0.0 0.2 32148 12248 pts/0 S 13:06 0:00 /usr/sbin/mysqld --basedir=/ --datadir=/var/lib/mysql --user=mysql --pid-file=/var/lib/mysql/XX.pid --skip-locking --socket=/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock --old-passwords

I've opened permission on the config directory, there is nothing
of value in the httpd server logs or the mysqld log file.

Any other ideas? I'm really hoping for something easy I'm
overlooking.

Thanks.

-Jot
--
Jot Powers <misc@bofh.com> http://www.bofh.com
Bumper Sticker: Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
Re: Problems installing MediaWiki 1.3.7 on RH AS2.1 Linux [ In reply to ]
On Nov 16, 2004, at 11:48 AM, Jot Powers wrote:
> * Connected to database... 4.1.7-standard; enabling MySQL 4
> enhancements

Before you do anything else, recompile PHP from source and make sure it
uses the updated MySQL client libraries.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: Problems installing MediaWiki 1.3.7 on RH AS2.1 Linux [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Nov 16, 2004 at 12:39:54PM -0800, Brion Vibber wrote:
> On Nov 16, 2004, at 11:48 AM, Jot Powers wrote:
> > * Connected to database... 4.1.7-standard; enabling MySQL 4
> >enhancements
>
> Before you do anything else, recompile PHP from source and make sure it
> uses the updated MySQL client libraries.

Ok, it seems to have been a combination of things. Here is what
I did.

1) Removed the older mysql and php packages that were installed.
rpm -e --nodeps mysql-3.23.58-1
rpm -e --nodeps mysql-devel-3.23.58-1
rpm -e --nodeps php-mysql-4.3.2-11.ent
rpm -e --nodeps php-4.3.2-11.ent

2) Blew away /var/lib/mysql
3) Reinstalled the latest SQL rpms
rpm -i --nodeps --force MySQL-server-4.1.7-0.i386.rpm
rpm -i --nodeps --force MySQL-client-4.1.7-0.i386.rpm
4) Recompiled and installed the latest version of php
(don't forget to run libtool! It scrolled off my screen
and took me a few minutes to figure out why my lib wasn't
being installed)
5) Configured Apache to load the module (different location)
6) Editted my /etc/php.ini to include /usr/local/lib/php
7) Restarted the SQL server
8) Tried the install

It still failed, but it failed complaining differently about the
DB. Looked like it might be user related so I once again
did the following (necessitated because I had blown away the
DB intentionally in step #2)

9) mysql> update mysql.user set password = OLD_PASSWORD('XXXXXX')
-> where host = 'localhost' and user = 'wikiuser';
10) mysql> grant all privileges on db.* to wikiuser@'localhost';
mysql> flush privileges;
11) Shutdown sql server
12) Edit /etc/init.d/mysql to include --old-passwords
13) Started the sql server up and tried the MediaWiki install again.

VOILA! Success!

Thanks for the recommendations, it seemed to get me to stick
to the right track.

-Jot
--
Jot Powers <misc@bofh.com> http://www.bofh.com/