Mailing List Archive

Installation problems
Hello - could somebody point me in the right direction for
finding out what might be wrong with this installation
attempt?

Thanks.

# PHP 4.3.9-1: ok
# PHP server API is apache2handler; ok, using pretty URLs
# (index.php/Page_Title)
# Have XML / Latin1-UTF-8 conversion support.
# PHP's memory_limit is 8M. If this is too low, installation may fail!
# Attempting to raise limit to 20M... ok.
# Have zlib support; enabling output compression.
# Found ImageMagick: /usr/bin/convert; image thumbnailing will be
# enabled if you enable uploads.
# Installation directory: /home/confed/public_html/newwiki
# Script URI path: /newwiki
# Connected as root (automatic)
# Connected to database... 4.0.21-log; enabling MySQL 4 enhancements
# Database confedwiki exists
# There are already MediaWiki tables in this database. Checking if
# updates are needed...

...ipblocks is up to date.
...already have interwiki table
...indexes seem up to 20031107 standards
...have linkscc table.
...linkscc is up to date, or does not exist. Good.
...have hitcounter table.
Converting links table to ID-ID...
Sorry! The wiki is experiencing some technical difficulties, and cannot
contact the database server.

--
Jason Williams <jason@andstuff.org.uk>
http://www.andstuff.org.uk/
Re: Installation problems [ In reply to ]
Jason Williams wrote:

>Hello - could somebody point me in the right direction for
>finding out what might be wrong with this installation
>attempt?
>
>Thanks.
>

># PHP 4.3.9-1: ok
># PHP server API is apache2handler; ok, using pretty URLs
># (index.php/Page_Title)
># Have XML / Latin1-UTF-8 conversion support.
># PHP's memory_limit is 8M. If this is too low, installation may fail!
># Attempting to raise limit to 20M... ok.
># Have zlib support; enabling output compression.
># Found ImageMagick: /usr/bin/convert; image thumbnailing will be
># enabled if you enable uploads.
># Installation directory: /home/confed/public_html/newwiki
># Script URI path: /newwiki
># Connected as root (automatic)
># Connected to database... 4.0.21-log; enabling MySQL 4 enhancements
># Database confedwiki exists
># There are already MediaWiki tables in this database. Checking if
># updates are needed...
>
>...ipblocks is up to date.
>...already have interwiki table
>...indexes seem up to 20031107 standards
>...have linkscc table.
>...linkscc is up to date, or does not exist. Good.
>...have hitcounter table.
>Converting links table to ID-ID...
>Sorry! The wiki is experiencing some technical difficulties, and cannot
>contact the database server.

It's a database problem. Definatly.
Installation Problems [ In reply to ]
I´v got this message in the beginning of the installation process:

*Warning*: set_time_limit(): Cannot set time limit in safe mode in
*/mnt/kw1/01/914/00000000/htdocs/Bioseite/mediawiki/install-utils.inc*
on line *27*
* PHP 4.3.9: ok
* *Warning: PHP's safe mode <http://www.php.net/features.safe-mode>
is active!* You will likely have problems caused by this. You may
need to make the 'images' subdirectory writable or specify a TMP
environment variable pointing to a writable temporary directory
owned by you, since safe mode breaks the system temporary directory.
* PHP server API is cgi; using ugly URLs (index.php?title=Page_Title)
* Have XML / Latin1-UTF-8 conversion support.
* PHP's memory_limit is 8M. *If this is too low, installation may
fail!* Attempting to raise limit to 20M... failed.
* Have zlib support; enabling output compression.
* Found GD graphics library built-in, image thumbnailing will be
enabled if you enable uploads.
* Installation directory:
/mnt/kw1/01/914/00000000/htdocs/Bioseite/mediawiki
* Script URI path: /mediawiki

The Problem remains even if I give chmod 777 to install-utils.inc and
images

The file LocalSettings.php is not created

Any ideas to solve the problem ?

1000 Thank`s

Christoph
Re: Installation Problems [ In reply to ]
Ouch, what a config!

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 23:24:30 +0100, moskitobug@web.de <moskitobug@web.de> wrote:
> I´v got this message in the beginning of the installation process:
>
> *Warning*: set_time_limit(): Cannot set time limit in safe mode in
> */mnt/kw1/01/914/00000000/htdocs/Bioseite/mediawiki/install-utils.inc*
> on line *27*

I really hope this doen't appear everytime.

> * PHP 4.3.9: ok
> * *Warning: PHP's safe mode <http://www.php.net/features.safe-mode>
> is active!* You will likely have problems caused by this. You may
> need to make the 'images' subdirectory writable or specify a TMP
> environment variable pointing to a writable temporary directory
> owned by you, since safe mode breaks the system temporary directory.

Search WikiMedia Metawiki and this list for help on dealing with safe mode.

> * PHP server API is cgi; using ugly URLs (index.php?title=Page_Title)

:p

> * Have XML / Latin1-UTF-8 conversion support.
> * PHP's memory_limit is 8M. *If this is too low, installation may
> fail!* Attempting to raise limit to 20M... failed.

remember this one if you have problems later.

> * Have zlib support; enabling output compression.
> * Found GD graphics library built-in, image thumbnailing will be
> enabled if you enable uploads.

some ups.

> * Installation directory:
> /mnt/kw1/01/914/00000000/htdocs/Bioseite/mediawiki
> * Script URI path: /mediawiki
>
> The Problem remains even if I give chmod 777 to install-utils.inc and
> images

make sure you chmod 777 the install directory, too. This is where
LocalSettings.php is written.

> The file LocalSettings.php is not created
>
> Any ideas to solve the problem ?
Safe mode. if you can, turn it off.

-- Jamie
http://endeavour.zapto.org/astro73/
Thank you to JosephM for inviting me to Gmail!