Mailing List Archive

Problems with the Germans Umlaute: ä, ö, ü
Dear friends

On working with mediawiki 1.3.7 i encountered the following problem: the
german Umlaute ä,ö,ü, are not displaied. See:

http://www.italien.ch/wiki/index.php/Hauptseite

Under the register navigation, for example, "letzte nderungen" should be
"letzte Änderungen" or "Zuflliger Artikel" should correctly be "Zufälliger
Artikel". You can see the effect on the buttom line to, "ber Italien.ch"
should be "über Italien.ch".

In the LocalSettings.php i did the following definitions:

$wgLanguageCode = "de";
$wgUseLatin1 = false;

The PhpMyAdmin version is 2.5.6
And the MySQL version is 4.0.20

In the Phpmyadmin i have defined the language "German de-iso-8859-1"

Could you give me any solving proposals of my problem?

Thank you in advance.

Yours faithfully

Andrea
Re: Problems with the Germans Umlaute: ä, ö, ü [ In reply to ]
On Nov 13, 2004, at 6:14 AM, Andrea Arena wrote:
> On working with mediawiki 1.3.7 i encountered the following problem:
> the
> german Umlaute ä,ö,ü, are not displaied. See:
>
> http://www.italien.ch/wiki/index.php/Hauptseite

Your LanguageDe.php seems to be badly corrupted. Have you edited any of
the files?

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: Problems with the Germans Umlaute: ä, ö, ü [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 12:45:58 -0800, Brion Vibber <brion@pobox.com> wrote:
> On Nov 13, 2004, at 6:14 AM, Andrea Arena wrote:
> > german Umlaute ä,ö,ü, are not displaied. See:
> >
> > http://www.italien.ch/wiki/index.php/Hauptseite
>
> Your LanguageDe.php seems to be badly corrupted. Have you edited any of
> the files?

Specifically, non-latin1 characters seem to have been converted at
some stage into what seem to be "FFFD replacement characters" (Mozilla
on Linux displays missing glyphs as a square of hex digits; wherever
umlauted letters should be, it's showing me
| F F | | F F |
| F D | | F D | )
This is (according to Brion at http://bugzilla.wikipedia.org/821) a
character used by software as a placeholder for unrecognised
characters. Probably either in downloading or editing the LanguageDe
file, some piece of software has mangled it, and therefore the UI
messages in it.

You could either:
a) re-download the file, and run maintenance/rebuildMessages.php [I
think that's the one] to build the correct version back into your
database;
or b) go through all the messages in your MediaWiki: namespace,
replacing the broken characters with what they should be
([[Spezial:Allmessages]] should aid you in this task). I was able to
enter letters with umlauts in a normal page fine: I took the liberty
of trying at http://www.italien.ch/wiki/index.php/Italien.ch:Sandbox
--
Rowan Collins BSc
[IMSoP]
Re: Problems with the Germans Umlaute: ä, ö, ü [ In reply to ]
I think this caused by the character being sent to the browser raw and
not being changed into the appropriate entity. I don't know how to fix
this, though. (In mine, it was displayed as either a question mark and
a box or 2 question marks.)

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 15:14:07 +0100, Andrea Arena <removed> wrote:
> Dear friends
>
> On working with mediawiki 1.3.7 i encountered the following problem: the
> german Umlaute ä,ö,ü, are not displaied. See:
>
> http://www.italien.ch/wiki/index.php/Hauptseite
>
> Under the register navigation, for example, "letzte nderungen" should be
> "letzte Änderungen" or "Zuflliger Artikel" should correctly be "Zufälliger
> Artikel". You can see the effect on the buttom line to, "ber Italien.ch"
> should be "über Italien.ch".
>
> In the LocalSettings.php i did the following definitions:
>
> $wgLanguageCode = "de";
> $wgUseLatin1 = false;
>
> The PhpMyAdmin version is 2.5.6
> And the MySQL version is 4.0.20
>
> In the Phpmyadmin i have defined the language "German de-iso-8859-1"
>
> Could you give me any solving proposals of my problem?
>
> Thank you in advance.
>
> Yours faithfully
>
> Andrea

http://endeavour.zapto.org/astro73/
Thank you to JosephM for inviting me to Gmail!
Re: Problems wit h the Germans Umlaute: ä, ö, ü [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 16:13:50 -0500, Jamie Bliss
<astronouth7303@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think this caused by the character being sent to the browser raw and
> not being changed into the appropriate entity. I don't know how to fix
> this, though. (In mine, it was displayed as either a question mark and
> a box or 2 question marks.)

No, you misunderstand: the characters are clearly corrupted *in your
database*. I was able to add un-corrupted letters with umlauts with no
problem at all, as can be seen at
http://www.italien.ch/wiki/index.php/Italien.ch:Sandbox How the
corrupted characters are displayed (or even how they are transmitted)
doesn't matter, they simply need replacing in the database with what
they should have been in the first place.

--
Rowan Collins BSc
[IMSoP]
Re: Problems wit h the Germans Umlaute: ä, ö, ü [ In reply to ]
My bad. Please don't bite my head off.

Forget the thing I said. Listen to the other guys.