Mailing List Archive

Installation problems: Setting user permissions ... Then Can't contact the database
Hi,

I have successfully managed to install MediaWiki on RedHat Fedora 2 and
it went beautifully smoothly.

However, I now need to install it on:

MediaWiki 1.3.7
FreeBSD 5.2
MySQL 4.1.7
Apache 2.0.48

I get the following messages when running the config/installation
script:

# PHP 4.3.4: ok
# PHP server API is apache2handler; ok, using pretty URLs
(index.php/Page_Title)
# Have XML / Latin1-UTF-8 conversion support.
# PHP is configured with no memory_limit.
# No zlib support.
# Couldn't find GD library or ImageMagick; image thumbnailing disabled.
# Installation directory: /scsi0/apache/htdocs/qi_static/itc_wiki
# Script URI path: /qi_static/itc_wiki
# Connected as root (automatic)
# Connected to database... 4.1.7-log; enabling MySQL 4 enhancements
# Created database wikidb
# Creating tables... done.
# Initializing data...
# Granting user permissions...
Sorry! The wiki is experiencing some technical difficulties, and cannot
contact the database server.

It does create the user table, just not populate it with anything. I am
at a loss as to why it can access the database to create tables but not
have access to write data.

I've searched google and the mailing list archives but did not find
anything useful.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem is and how to fix it please?

Thanks in advance.

Ben
Re: Installation problems: Setting user permissions ... Then Can't contact the database [ In reply to ]
On Nov 1, 2004, at 9:31 PM, Ben wrote:
> I have successfully managed to install MediaWiki on RedHat Fedora 2 and
> it went beautifully smoothly.
>
> However, I now need to install it on:
>
> MediaWiki 1.3.7
> FreeBSD 5.2
> MySQL 4.1.7
> Apache 2.0.48

Did you compile PHP against the updated MySQL client libraries? MySQL
4.1 and higher uses a new authentication scheme which is not
backwards-compatible with old client programs.

See:
http://mail.wikipedia.org/pipermail/mediawiki-l/2004-October/
001928.html

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)