Admin of http://portal.wikinerds.org
Project Manager of http://www.nerdypc.org
Project Manager of http://www.adapedia.org
Re: Red links [ In reply to ]
Quoting NSK, from the post of Sun, 31 Oct:
> Hi,
>
> Red links are very difficult to read and new wikis are full of them. I suggest
> to make red links appear in black by default.

how about dark red? my newbies are having difficulties undestanding the
concept of participating in site expansion, and the multicoloured links
are still somewhat of a puzzle for a few of them, but I think black
links in black text could mean the end of the website and little or no
further development unless I do it all myself.

--
The usual suspect
Ira Abramov
Re: Red links [ In reply to ]
You can change the color (by going into the coding). At Wikinfo we use a
green link which shows up well. But even the red can be deepened. Red seems
right now for Wikipedia as it is a rather jarring color and stands out.

Black would seem to be indistinguishable from ordinary unlinked text.

Fred

Re: Re: Red links [ In reply to ]
The problem is rather that color blind people cannot see them links if
they are red colored unless they are underlined.
Maybe wikipedia chooses a more accessible color for them?

--tictric

http://glassdoc.org
http://glassdoc.de
Re: Re: Red links [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Oct 31, 2004 at 07:59:03PM +0100, tic@tictric.net wrote:
> The problem is rather that color blind people cannot see them links if
> they are red colored unless they are underlined.
> Maybe wikipedia chooses a more accessible color for them?

I am very sure that those have their browser to use their own color-sheme
and overwrite the site's CSS.

ciao, tom
--
== Weblinks ==
* http://shop.wikipedia.org - WikiReader Internet zu kaufen
Re: Re: Red links [ In reply to ]
On Sunday 31 October 2004 21:02, Thomas R. Koll wrote:
> I am very sure that those have their browser to use their own color-sheme
> and overwrite the site's CSS.

And what if they don't know how to customise their browser or if they have to
use someone else's computer such as a library or university's PC or even a
netbar?

--
NSK
Re: Re: Red links [ In reply to ]
On Sunday 31 October 2004 20:59, tic@tictric.net wrote:
> The problem is rather that color blind people cannot see them links if

I think it's evident that the colour of the links must change. I think Fred
Bauder's decision to make the links green in http://www.wikinfo.org is great.
Why not implement the same in Wikipedia and MediaWiki 1.3.8, too?

--
NSK
Re: Re: Red links [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 23:13:14 +0200, NSK <nsk2@wikinerds.org> wrote:
> On Sunday 31 October 2004 21:02, Thomas R. Koll wrote:
> > I am very sure that those have their browser to use their own color-sheme
> > and overwrite the site's CSS.
>
> And what if they don't know how to customise their browser or if they have to
> use someone else's computer such as a library or university's PC or even a
> netbar?

It's already been discussed and voted upon. If you wish it to change,
you'll have to have enough support to overcome the last vote.

--
[[en:User:Dori]]
Re: Re: Red links [ In reply to ]
Am Sun, 31 Oct 2004 20:02:41 +0100 hat Thomas R. Koll <tomk32@gmx.de>
geschrieben:

> On Sun, Oct 31, 2004 at 07:59:03PM +0100, tic@tictric.net wrote:
>> The problem is rather that color blind people cannot see them links if
>> they are red colored unless they are underlined.
>> Maybe wikipedia chooses a more accessible color for them?
>
> I am very sure that those have their browser to use their own color-sheme
> and overwrite the site's CSS.

Is there any colorblind around that can confirm that it's not being
troublesome having to adapt their browser to every weird (well that
wikipedia actually not is :-) ) homepage there is?

--tic

--
http://glassdoc.org
http://glassdoc.de
Re: Re: Red links [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 22:23:14 +0100, tic@tictric.net <tic@tictric.net> wrote:
> Am Sun, 31 Oct 2004 20:02:41 +0100 hat Thomas R. Koll <tomk32@gmx.de>
> geschrieben:
>
> > On Sun, Oct 31, 2004 at 07:59:03PM +0100, tic@tictric.net wrote:
> >> The problem is rather that color blind people cannot see them links if
> >> they are red colored unless they are underlined.
> >> Maybe wikipedia chooses a more accessible color for them?
> >
> > I am very sure that those have their browser to use their own color-sheme
> > and overwrite the site's CSS.
>
> Is there any colorblind around that can confirm that it's not being
> troublesome having to adapt their browser to every weird (well that
> wikipedia actually not is :-) ) homepage there is?

They don't have to adapt their browser, they just have to set their
monobook.css appropriately (a.new { color:#XXXXXX; }).

--
[[en:User:Dori]]
Re: Red links [ In reply to ]
Thomas R. Koll wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 31, 2004 at 07:59:03PM +0100, tic@tictric.net wrote:
>
>>The problem is rather that color blind people cannot see them links if
>>they are red colored unless they are underlined.
>>Maybe wikipedia chooses a more accessible color for them?
>

> I am very sure that those have their browser to use their own color-sheme
> and overwrite the site's CSS.
>
> ciao, tom

That's how colorblind people do it. Same for people that have visual
deficience (big bold white fonts on a dark background).

--
Ashar Voultoiz - WP++++
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Hashar
Re: Red links [ In reply to ]
NSK wrote:
> On Sunday 31 October 2004 20:59, tic@tictric.net wrote:
>
>>The problem is rather that color blind people cannot see them links if
>

> I think it's evident that the colour of the links must change. I think Fred
> Bauder's decision to make the links green in http://www.wikinfo.org is great.
> Why not implement the same in Wikipedia and MediaWiki 1.3.8, too?

NSK,

MediaWiki is build mainly for Wikipedia usage, it just happen that other
website admins use it for other purposes (such as Fred Bauder or yourself).

Most developpers of MediaWiki are also in charge of the maintenance of
the 350+ wikis run for the WikiMedia foundation, so we basicly want the
software to be configured by default with the need of the WikiMedia
community.

If you would like to change a default settings you will have to have the
whole community support your idea, then the community will ask the
developpers to change the default settings.

Actually the community seems to be fine with the RED color being used
for broken link. Just customize your site stylesheet if you don't agree
with that.

cheers,

Re: Re: Red links [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 05:58:52 +0100, Ashar Voultoiz <hashar@altern.org> wrote:
> [clip]
> Actually the community seems to be fine with the RED color being used
> for broken link. Just customize your site stylesheet if you don't agree
> with that.

Plus, red broken links just seems to make sense (at least to me).

-- Jamie
http://endeavour.zapto.org/astro73/
Thank you to JosephM for inviting me to Gmail!