should ask?

Help. Please.

Dick
Re: Where should I seek help? [ In reply to ]
Richard Karpinski wrote:
> I get intermittent "pear_error" messages while trying to load any page
> of my wiki? Sometimes a reload or a backup and retry fixes the problem
> but often a dozen retries does not get the page. This is terribly
> frustrating so I would appreciate any clue about how to address this
> problem. Is there some place I should look or someplace else that I
> should ask?
>
> Help. Please.
>
> Dick

Hello Dick,

This is the place for MediaWiki support (together with #mediawiki on
irc.freenode.net). Can you quote the exact error you are receiving and
when does it happen ?

--
Ashar Voultoiz - WP++++
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Hashar
Re: Re: Where should I seek help? [ In reply to ]
OK, here is the exact message:

[pear_error: message="Template function
'tpl_0_7_0_d73aca9d73b2179aa0acca726fd5ead0' not found (template source
: /home/groups/h/hu/humane/htdocs/di/templates/xhtml_slim.pt" code=0
mode=return level=notice prefix="" info=""]

I was using Firefox on Mac OS X and had an old copy of my main page
showing a red link to a page I had recently created. When I followed
that link, I got to "Editing" of the new page. So I went back and
reloaded the main page. That worked and the link was no longer red.
Then I followed that link again and got the message above.

The problem is intermittent and often goes away when the page with the
error message is reloaded or backed out of and reinvoked. But sometimes
that fails so often that I give up and go away for an hour or more. It
happens for my pages and for "Special Pages". It seems to happen less
in the middle of the night, but that's not certain.

Dick

Re: Re: Where should I seek help? [ In reply to ]
On Nov 1, 2004, at 7:13 AM, Richard Karpinski wrote:
> [.pear_error: message="Template function
> 'tpl_0_7_0_d73aca9d73b2179aa0acca726fd5ead0' not found (template
> source : /home/groups/h/hu/humane/htdocs/di/templates/xhtml_slim.pt"
> code=0 mode=return level=notice prefix="" info=""]

This means the page template didn't compile correctly, or that the
compiled template file couldn't be loaded up correctly.

Unfortunately I can't be more specific than that since I don't know
what causes it, and have never seen it on any machine I've run (though
similar symptoms do get reported). Do you run this server yourself, or
are you on a shared server with limited control? What operating system
does it run? What version of PHP? Do you know if it's using a PHP
accelerator module (eg Zend Optimizer, Turck MMCache, APC, etc)? Are
you running with PHP's safe mode on? Is the server frequently used, or
lightly? Is your wiki heavily used, or lightly? Can you check for the
existence of a file named eg
tpl_0_7_0_d73aca9d73b2179aa0acca726fd5ead0.php, most likely in /tmp?
What does it look like inside? Is it empty, or broken, or a bunch of
PHP and HTML bits? Are files in the /tmp dir routinely emptied? Is
there a per-user quota on the filesystem? Are there any other error
messages that show up at the time?

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: Re: Where should I seek help? [ In reply to ]
This is hosted on the SourceForge servers so they are heavily shared
and I have quite limited control. The wiki is very lightly used. No
other messages or errors occur with this one. I'll see if I can find
out the other stuff you ask about.

Thanks.

Dick

Re: Re: Where should I seek help? [ In reply to ]
That is odd, since there are other wikis ran on SourceForge, and I
don't think they've reported problems. (but I don't know how many use
MediaWiki).

Any body ran MediaWiki on SourceForge, or know of a project that does?

On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 07:35:18 -0800, Richard Karpinski <dick@cfcl.com> wrote:
> This is hosted on the SourceForge servers so they are heavily shared
> and I have quite limited control. The wiki is very lightly used. No
> other messages or errors occur with this one. I'll see if I can find
> out the other stuff you ask about.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Dick
>
> On Nov 1, 2004, at 7:18 AM, Brion Vibber wrote:
>
> > Do you run this server yourself, or are you on a shared server with
> > limited control?

-- Jamie
http://endeavour.zapto.org/astro73/
Thank you to JosephM for inviting me to Gmail!