I'm trying to modify MediaWiki so that a single linebreak in the edit box will
be written as <br />. Has this been decided against for some reason? If it's
possible to do easily, I'd appreciate any help. Thanks.
Re: Recognizing individual line breaks as <br /> [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Oct 28, 2004 at 04:55:23PM +0000, Jack Lutz wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm trying to modify MediaWiki so that a single linebreak in the edit box will
> be written as <br />. Has this been decided against for some reason? If it's
> possible to do easily, I'd appreciate any help. Thanks.

It's easier to have linebreaks in the article source if you search for
something specific. the reader don't care about such breaks, the editor does.

Before you waste time, add a nl2br() somewhere below line 1475 (CVS)

ciao, tom

--
== Weblinks ==
* http://shop.wikipedia.org - WikiReader Internet zu kaufen
Re: Recognizing individual line breaks as <br /> [ In reply to ]
The edit box is usually not the same size as the text displayed in a
Wikipedia article.

Fred

Re: Recognizing individual line breaks as <br /> [ In reply to ]
I'm not sure I follow the replies so far, they seem to assume something more
complicated... It's literal line breaks, WYSIWYG.
Assuming this is in the Wiki edit box:
Line 1
Line 2

Then this is the default result I don't want:
Line 1 Line 2

I'd rather have:
Line 1 <br />
Line 2
Re: Recognizing individual line breaks as <br /> [ In reply to ]
No, not really. No WYSIWYG necessary.

In Thomas's reply, reader refered to a random passer-by, editor to
someone who edits the page.

Fred's reason is probably the biggest one. If line breaks were taken
litterally, the article may be as wide as the edit box (which is
probably bad practice).

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 15:01:57 -0500, Jack Lutz <jack-lutz@comcast.net> wrote:
> I'm not sure I follow the replies so far, they seem to assume something more
> complicated... It's literal line breaks, WYSIWYG.
> Assuming this is in the Wiki edit box:
> Line 1
> Line 2
>
> Then this is the default result I don't want:
> Line 1 Line 2
>
> I'd rather have:
> Line 1 <br />
> Line 2

http://endeavour.zapto.org/astro73/
Thank you to JosephM for inviting me to Gmail!
Re: Recognizing individual line breaks as <br /> [ In reply to ]
On Oct 28, 2004, at 9:55 AM, Jack Lutz wrote:
> I'm trying to modify MediaWiki so that a single linebreak in the edit
> box will
> be written as <br />. Has this been decided against for some reason?
> If it's
> possible to do easily, I'd appreciate any help. Thanks.

The first reason is compatibility: many older articles on Wikipedia had
literal line breaks inserted in the source text, whether manually or by
the older software I don't know. These are not supposed to be line
breaks in output.

The second reason is... compatibility. When the allowed HTML subset is
used, line breaks are common to make the markup clear, and you _really_
don't want to be adding in <br />s everywhere.

The third reason... compatibility. Line breaks at the edge of
block-level constructions (paragraphs, list lines) and table rows and
other such constructs also should not have <br />s added to them. Line
break already has a specific block-level meaning in many such
constructs (dividing list lines, table rows, etc).

So if you want \n to turn to <br /> to appear only where you want it,
you'll need to be careful.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: Recognizing individual line breaks as <br /> [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Oct 28, 2004 at 04:21:25PM -0400, Jamie Bliss wrote:
> No, not really. No WYSIWYG necessary.
>
> In Thomas's reply, reader refered to a random passer-by, editor to
> someone who edits the page.
>
> Fred's reason is probably the biggest one. If line breaks were taken
> litterally, the article may be as wide as the edit box (which is
> probably bad practice).

Look at the HTML docs for textarea, the default for warping in textareas
is 'virtual' meaning that a long line will be warped but no \n will
be sent by the browser. So, Fred's argument is more or less nonsense.

ciao, tom