Project Manager of http://www.nerdypc.org
Project Manager of http://www.adapedia.org
Project Manager of http://maatworks.wikinerds.org
Re: Better doc? [ In reply to ]
Am Sat, 23 Oct 2004 00:26:14 +0300 hat NSK <nsk2@wikinerds.org>
geschrieben:

> I think the software would benefit from better documentation, especially
> documentation for programmers.
>
> "How to become a MW hacker" is nice but more is needed.
>
> I think it would be a good idea if you could launch a site which will be
> wiki dedicated only to MW software. People could go there and add
> whatever
> they know, so that we could have a MW resource both for users and
> hackers.

I don't know how long you know Mediawiki for already but the documentation
has improved beyond recognition.
While there was still 1.2.x there was hardly any doc at all.

Just add some of that documentation you are missing to meta.wikipedia.org
and it will improve further. This site is dedicated to mw only. You need
it even more specific :-)
The system's already there.

--tic
Re: Better doc? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 23:45:31 +0200, tic@tictric.net <tic@tictric.net> wrote:
> Am Sat, 23 Oct 2004 00:26:14 +0300 hat NSK <nsk2@wikinerds.org>
> geschrieben:
>
> > I think the software would benefit from better documentation, especially
> > documentation for programmers.

This, believe it or not, is Bug Number 1 in our bug tracker.
Seriously: http://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/1 In other words: yes, we
know [I like Brion's initial comment on that report :D]

> > I think it would be a good idea if you could launch a site which will be a
> > wiki dedicated only to MW software.
>
> I don't know how long you know Mediawiki for already but the documentation
> has improved beyond recognition.
> While there was still 1.2.x there was hardly any doc at all.

One of the recent creations is generated-from-comments code
documentation at http://wikipedia.sourceforge.net/mwdoc/

> Just add some of that documentation you are missing to meta.wikipedia.org
> and it will improve further. This site is dedicated to mw only.

Actually, this is incorrect: meta.wikimedia.org is a wiki for
discussion of the Wikimedia group of projects, and also for the
MediaWiki software developed for and used by them. [If you're
confused, see http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Names ;-p] So in some
ways, it's not as specific as it could be, but the crossover is
probably useful at least as often as its problematic. And with the
Help: pages, the user side should theoretically be much more helpful
soon.

Not entirely related, but I think it would be nice if someone could
make bugzilla.mediawiki.org {be|point to|be an alias of} the address
for the bug tracker, {rather than|as well as} bugzilla.wikimedia.org,
since it's primarily for bugs in the MediaWiki software, not the
Wikimedia sites.

--
Rowan Collins BSc
[IMSoP]
Re: Better doc? [ In reply to ]
The User's guide is at [[Meta-WikiPedia:Help:Contents]] or
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Contents