Events page.

Is there a script somewhere that does this? Or is it all done by
a team of dedicated volunteers? If there's a script, does it also
update the Current Events calendar?

Thanks,

John Ingleby
************
www.schoolforge.org.uk
Re: Wikipedia Main Page news & Current events [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 21:39:01 +0100, John Ingleby <john@coronet.co.uk> wrote:
> I'm curious to know how the news items on Wikipedia's Main Page get
> to be inserted - regularly, in an organised way - in the Current
> Events page.
>
> Is there a script somewhere that does this? Or is it all done by
> a team of dedicated volunteers? If there's a script, does it also
> update the Current Events calendar?

Well as far as I know, like most things on Wikipedia, this is just a
lot of "dedicated volunteers" constantly polishing the page so that to
a user it looks "organised". If you look at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Current_events you can see the
instructions on how to help, and the discussion that led to them, and
which leads to their improvement.

And for what it's worth, the current events listed on the Main Page
are taken *from* the Current events page, not vice versa. For that,
see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:In_the_news_section_on_the_Main_Page

Sorry if you were hoping for some juicy scripting, this one's just
down to a good strong community effort.

--
Rowan Collins BSc
[IMSoP]