Mailing List Archive

How to load "Help:Contents"?
Hey all,

I'm installing mediawiki (1.3.5), got everything up and running okay,
but the "Help" link in the Navigation bar on the left side of the
window takes me to an empty page. It looks like I need to load the
Help:Contents from Meta into my local database. Did I miss something in
the installation instructions? Can somebody point me to some
instructions for this?

Sorry if this is answered somewhere else, but I haven't been able to
find it. I have read all the FAQ's I could find, installation
instructions on Meta (and other wikis), and googling for
"help:contents" (or some variation) only seems to return the actual
help pages, NOT how to install them.

FYI, the server is running FreeBSD 4.10

PHP 4.3.6 (cli) (built: Apr 29 2004 01:16:17)
Copyright (c) 1997-2004 The PHP Group
Zend Engine v1.3.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2004 Zend Technologies

mysql Ver 12.22 Distrib 4.0.18, for portbld-freebsd4.10 (i386)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Jim Vanderveen, IT Manager
Office of Water Programs, Calif State University Sacramento
jim.vanderveen@owp.csus.edu -- PGP key 0x4F449230
PGP info at http://www.owp.csus.edu/~vanderveenj/pgp/
Re: How to load "Help:Contents"? [ In reply to ]
I believe that the Help:Contents page has to be written for every wiki
installed. Meaning that if you have not explicitly written it, it will
not be there.

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 10:05:27 -0700, Jim Vanderveen
<jim.vanderveen@owp.csus.edu> wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I'm installing mediawiki (1.3.5), got everything up and running okay,
> but the "Help" link in the Navigation bar on the left side of the
> window takes me to an empty page. It looks like I need to load the
> Help:Contents from Meta into my local database. Did I miss something in
> the installation instructions? Can somebody point me to some
> instructions for this?
>
> Sorry if this is answered somewhere else, but I haven't been able to
> find it. I have read all the FAQ's I could find, installation
> instructions on Meta (and other wikis), and googling for
> "help:contents" (or some variation) only seems to return the actual
> help pages, NOT how to install them.
>
> FYI, the server is running FreeBSD 4.10
>
> PHP 4.3.6 (cli) (built: Apr 29 2004 01:16:17)
> Copyright (c) 1997-2004 The PHP Group
> Zend Engine v1.3.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2004 Zend Technologies
>
> mysql Ver 12.22 Distrib 4.0.18, for portbld-freebsd4.10 (i386)
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Jim Vanderveen, IT Manager
> Office of Water Programs, Calif State University Sacramento
> jim.vanderveen@owp.csus.edu -- PGP key 0x4F449230
> PGP info at http://www.owp.csus.edu/~vanderveenj/pgp/

http://endeavour.zapto.org/astro73/
Thank you to JosephM for inviting me to Gmail!
Re: How to load "Help:Contents"? [ In reply to ]
Jim-
> Hey all,

> I'm installing mediawiki (1.3.5), got everything up and running okay,
> but the "Help" link in the Navigation bar on the left side of the
> window takes me to an empty page. It looks like I need to load the
> Help:Contents from Meta into my local database. Did I miss something in
> the installation instructions? Can somebody point me to some
> instructions for this?

the Help: effort on Meta was started less than two months ago. As a
result, the associated pages are still fairly chaotic and often include
Wikimedia-specific content. There is currently no script to import them
automatically.

My recommendation for now is to browse Help:Contents and select the pages
which you think are useful/important, and copy and paste their content
into your wiki manually.

Regards,

Erik
Re: How to load "Help:Contents"? [ In reply to ]
On 14 Oct 2004, at 12:10, Erik Moeller wrote:
> the Help: effort on Meta was started less than two months ago. As a
> result, the associated pages are still fairly chaotic and often include
> Wikimedia-specific content. There is currently no script to import them
> automatically.
>
> My recommendation for now is to browse Help:Contents and select the
> pages
> which you think are useful/important, and copy and paste their content
> into your wiki manually.

Thanks! I'm happy to know that this *isn't* written down somewhere
yet--I hate spamming people with already-answered questions.