backup your database before updating or you WILL lose it!

You have been warned.

Kate.
Re: HEADS UP: major database schema change in 1.4 [ In reply to ]
On Sep 26, 2004, at 7:42 AM, Kate Turner wrote:
> I'm about to commit a major change to the 'old' table in HEAD. There
> should ideally be no problems, but it's quite possible it will end up
> corrupting your database, deleting articles or their histories, or
> doing other bad things. There will almost certainly be minor bugs.
>
> If you have anything important in a 1.4 version database, you MUST
> backup your database before updating or you WILL lose it!

This change has been backed out and will probably not make it into 1.4
release.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: HEADS UP: major database schema change in 1.4 [ In reply to ]
Hey Brion,

Can you sum up some new things that we can expect in version 1.4?

Any idea when 1.4 beta's will hit the sourceforge?
(If the skinning is better manageable and 1.4 won't take to long, I will
wait with tampering on my system)

--
Kind Regards,
Marko

Re: HEADS UP: major database schema change in 1.4 [ In reply to ]
On Sep 26, 2004, at 5:26 PM, Marko Faas wrote:
> Can you sum up some new things that we can expect in version 1.4?

Some of the big things:

Frontend:
* User selection of alternate interface language
* Some Simplified<->Traditional Chinese conversion ability
* 'Recentchanges Patrol' to mark new edits that haven't yet been viewed
* Old manually maintained log pages replaced with searchable Special:Log

Backend:
* Skins system more modular, easier to add new skins
* Support for table prefixes to cooperate better with web apps sharing
a database
* PostgreSQL support
* MonoBook skin on PHP 5
* Support for faster C++ diff module (WikiDiff extension)
* Validation and normalization of unicode input

(If some of the ideas bouncing around work cleanly we may make some
changes to the old table structure too, but upgradability is a key
concern.)

> Any idea when 1.4 beta's will hit the sourceforge?

If we can start tightening things up soon, I'd aim for mid-October.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: HEADS UP: major database schema change in 1.4 [ In reply to ]
Great news. I specially appreciate the PostgresQL and alternate
interface language support!

What's your priority for:

* https-protected login
* http authentication support

Greetings
Tim

On 27.09.2004, at 02:56, Brion Vibber wrote:

> Frontend:
> * User selection of alternate interface language
> * Some Simplified<->Traditional Chinese conversion ability
> * 'Recentchanges Patrol' to mark new edits that haven't yet been viewed
> * Old manually maintained log pages replaced with searchable
> Special:Log
>
> Backend:
> * Skins system more modular, easier to add new skins
> * Support for table prefixes to cooperate better with web apps sharing
> a database
> * PostgreSQL support
> * MonoBook skin on PHP 5
> * Support for faster C++ diff module (WikiDiff extension)
> * Validation and normalization of unicode input

------
Tim Pritlove, Discordian Evangelist
<mailto:tim@ccc.de> <http://tim.geekheim.de/>
<aim:timpritlove> <jabber:tim@jabber.berlin.ccc.de>
Project Blinkenlights <http://www.blinkenlights.de/>
------
The Fifth Commandment:
A Discordian is Prohibited of Believing What he reads.
Re: HEADS UP: major database schema change in 1.4 [ In reply to ]
On Sep 27, 2004, at 5:27 PM, Tim Pritlove wrote:
> What's your priority for:
>
> * https-protected login
> * http authentication support

As far as I know no one's been working on these.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: HEADS UP: major database schema change in 1.4 [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Sep 28, 2004 at 02:27:21AM +0200, Tim Pritlove wrote:
> Great news. I specially appreciate the PostgresQL and alternate
> interface language support!
>
> What's your priority for:
>
> * https-protected login
> * http authentication support
>
> Greetings
> Tim

https protected login belongs in the webserver, not in mediawiki. If you
install your wiki on an https-enabled server, it works already.

---
Bob the Hamster
Re: HEADS UP: major database schema change in 1.4 [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 17:56:21 -0700, Brion Vibber <brion@pobox.com> wrote:
> On Sep 26, 2004, at 5:26 PM, Marko Faas wrote:
> > Can you sum up some new things that we can expect in version 1.4?
>
> Some of the big things:
>
> Frontend:
> * 'Recentchanges Patrol' to mark new edits that haven't yet been viewed
Can you add an option to only show pages that fit certain criteria?
Like links to, liked from, fits name (eg "*wiki*"), is in namespace,
etc. On wikipedia, I won't be able to help much with the medical
articles, but when it comes to tech, I'm right there.

-- Jamie
http://endeavour.zapto.org/astro73/
Thank you to JosephM for inviting me to GMail!