or third try after backing up usually works just fine. Sometimes the
message occurs for save but the page is saved anyway.

Text that is indented is rendered in a dashed box despite no such hint
in the user guide. It doesn't even contain all the text in many cases.

Surrounding an indented line with <nowiki> and </nowiki> suppresses the
box but loses the indent.

Are we doing something wrong?

Dick
Re: Link and edit problems in 1.3.3 [ In reply to ]
On Sep 17, 2004, at 7:23 PM, Richard Karpinski wrote:
> Clicking on a selection in the navigation sidebar often gives a
> generic not-found message until the target page has been accessed
> through an embedded link.
>
> Clicking on an embedded link or an edit tab or a preview or save
> button often results in a two line gobbledegook error message, but the
> second or third try after backing up usually works just fine.
> Sometimes the message occurs for save but the page is saved anyway.

That gobbledegook is important; without it we cannot hope to diagnose
your problem. Could you save those error messages and post them please?

> Text that is indented is rendered in a dashed box despite no such hint
> in the user guide. It doesn't even contain all the text in many cases.

Putting spaces at the beginning of a line produces 'preformatted' text
(the HTML <pre> tag). This sets the text to a monospace font so each
column is the same width, doesn't wrap long lines, and faithfully
reproduces every space and line break as you wrote it.

The style sheet for the MonoBook skin puts <pre> areas in a dashed box.
You can change this if you like by overriding the stylesheet defaults.
Edit the page [[MediaWiki:Monobook.css]] on your wiki to add new style
sheet rules easily.

> Surrounding an indented line with <nowiki> and </nowiki> suppresses
> the box but loses the indent.

<nowiki> simply suppresses formatting markup. It does not produce
preformatted text, use a monospaced font, or reproduce explicit spaces
and line breaks in output.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: Link and edit problems in 1.3.3 [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 19:43:23 -0700, Brion Vibber <brion@ikso.net> wrote:
> On Sep 17, 2004, at 7:23 PM, Richard Karpinski wrote:
> > Text that is indented is rendered in a dashed box despite no such hint
> > in the user guide. It doesn't even contain all the text in many cases.
>
> Putting spaces at the beginning of a line produces 'preformatted' text
> (the HTML <pre> tag). This sets the text to a monospace font so each
> column is the same width, doesn't wrap long lines, and faithfully
> reproduces every space and line break as you wrote it.

This, of course, supplies one way of indenting text, but will probably
do more than you want (even if you override the dotted-border CSS
rule). The wiki-syntax to indent a line is actually to put a : in
front of it. This currently produces some rather awkward HTML, but has
the effect of doing nothing but indenting the line.

--
Rowan Collins BSc
[IMSoP]