Mailing List Archive

OT: Mailing list tags
<#secure method=pgp mode=sign>
Re: OT: Mailing list tags [ In reply to ]
On Sep 17, 2004, at 6:01 PM, Paul Johnson wrote:
> Given that there are several headers on every message from the mailing
> list that will positively identify the message as coming from a
> mailing list already,
[snip]

Personally I *hate* it when mailing lists don't include the
human-readable subject tags. When I have to dive into an alternate mail
reader which doesn't do my filtering, it's very hard to find anything.
It's also more difficult to identify search results when searching my
archives if there are no subject tags.

On the other hand, I'm sure you're quite capable of removing the tags
with a procmail filter if you don't like them. ;)

It would be nice if mailman had this as a per-subscriber setting, but
it doesn't appear to be at present. If you can whip up a patch for
mailman (or point out how to enable such a per-subscriber option if it
is there), that would be great.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: OT: Mailing list tags [ In reply to ]
Very few clients show all the headers.

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 18:01:49 -0700, Paul Johnson
<baloo@ursine.dyndns.org> wrote:
> <#secure method=pgp mode=sign>

http://endeavour.zapto.org/astro73/
Thank you to JosephM for inviting me to GMail!
Re: OT: Mailing list tags [ In reply to ]
<#secure method=pgp mode=sign>
Re: OT: Mailing list tags [ In reply to ]
Quoting Paul Johnson, from the post of Fri, 17 Sep:

> > Very few clients show all the headers.
>
> It doesn't matter, because you can still sort by those other headers.

not really. most of the world (sigh) uses Micro$oft LookOut(tm). I am a
happy user of Mutt on Linux, and my mail filteration is a bunch of
.qmail files. Never found the need (in 14 years of using Unix) to learn
procmail, I have a simple sed script to make my subject pretty. I have
many complaints about mailing list servers and users, but this is not
one of my problems :-)))

--
Knows no phear
Ira Abramov
Re: OT: Mailing list tags [ In reply to ]
<#secure method=pgp mode=sign>