Mailing List Archive

RFC - Diderot WikiWriter Project - Pre-Release Announce
### ANNOUNCE ### ANNOUNCE ### ANNOUNCE ### ANNOUNCE ###

The '''Diderot''' WikiWriter alpha is soon to be released.

'''Diderot''' is going to become the first full-featured, offline-online
Wikipedia Editor with

* Source Coloring
* Source Folding
* integrated Browser Window
* Category Browser
* Asynchronous Put and Get of Wikipedia Pages (you don’t have to wait
until a page is saved)
* Parallel Editing of Multiple Articles

In the future, we plan to add a variety of new features:

* Recent Change Agent with Notification Function, able to process RegEx
* Search & Replace with RegEx
* Integrated Watchlist with automated update
* Automatic resolving of Redirects
* and many other ... participate and submit a Feature Request on our
Project Summary Page at http://wikiwriter.sourceforge.net!

On the Project Homepage at http://wikiwriter.sourceforge.net you can
find some Screenshots.

The package will currently only run under WinXP, but in the future we
will try to support unix platforms as well.

This will depend on volunteers to tackle some developement tasks.
Any pythonists are welcome to participate.

The project is based on python and comes with a PSF licence.
Sources can be found on the project page on
http://sourceforge.net/projects/wikiwriter.

==IMPORTANT==
This announce is in some way a test on how many interest there is in
such a tool. So please put your vote on
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Dedicated Dedicated Wikipedia
editor/Diderot.

If there is positive feedback from the community, the project should
soon grow into some stable beta release.

Please use the sourceforge trackers to submit your feature requests or
mailto:wikiwiki(at)vr(dash)web(dot)de.

The final alpha release announce will be posted in the next days.

Enjoy!

Shannon
Re: RFC - Diderot WikiWriter Project - Pre-Release Announce [ In reply to ]
nospam@mussenbrock.de wrote:
> ### ANNOUNCE ### ANNOUNCE ### ANNOUNCE ### ANNOUNCE ###
>
> The '''Diderot''' WikiWriter alpha is soon to be released.
>
> '''Diderot''' is going to become the first full-featured, offline-online
> Wikipedia Editor.

I just wanted to point to this page (yet again):

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WYSIWYG_editor

~ESP
Re: RFC - Diderot WikiWriter Project - Pre-Release Announce [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 10:40:02 +0200, nospam@mussenbrock.de
<nospam@mussenbrock.de> wrote:

> ### ANNOUNCE ### ANNOUNCE ### ANNOUNCE ### ANNOUNCE ###
>
> The '''Diderot''' WikiWriter alpha is soon to be released.
>
> '''Diderot''' is going to become the first full-featured, offline-online
> Wikipedia Editor with
>
> * Source Coloring
> * Source Folding
> * integrated Browser Window
> * Category Browser
> * Asynchronous Put and Get of Wikipedia Pages (you don't have to wait
> until a page is saved)
> * Parallel Editing of Multiple Articles
>
> In the future, we plan to add a variety of new features:
>
> * Recent Change Agent with Notification Function, able to process RegEx
> * Search & Replace with RegEx
> * Integrated Watchlist with automated update
> * Automatic resolving of Redirects
> * and many other ... participate and submit a Feature Request on our
> Project Summary Page at http://wikiwriter.sourceforge.net!
>
> On the Project Homepage at http://wikiwriter.sourceforge.net you can
> find some Screenshots.
>
> The package will currently only run under WinXP, but in the future we
> will try to support unix platforms as well.
>
> This will depend on volunteers to tackle some developement tasks.
> Any pythonists are welcome to participate.
> [clipped]

This sounds great! (I've been thinking about porting the parser code
to C++ for a similar effect)

> This announce is in some way a test on how many interest there is in
> such a tool. So please put your vote on
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Dedicated Dedicated Wikipedia
> editor/Diderot.

The URL for that is
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Dedicated_Wikipedia_editor/Diderot

http://endeavour.zapto.org/astro73/
Thank you to JosephM for inviting me to GMail!
Re: RFC - Diderot WikiWriter Project - Pre-Release Announce [ In reply to ]
hi,

I learned that the WikiWriter alpha has been released.
But how may I use it for other Wiki ?

Please advise.

Thanks.

Hendry

----
hendry@nii.ac.jp
http://www-kasm.nii.ac.jp/~hendry
Re: RFC - Diderot WikiWriter Project - Pre-Release Announce [ In reply to ]
Diderot looks like a great project. I'm very curious to see what new
ways to deal with merging changes will arise. It should be possible
to at least be as clever as modern CMS systems.

As for WYSIWYG editors, when Ward Cunningham was asked what one thing
he would change about Wikipedia, he said "I'd throw a WYSIWYG editor
in front of it".
http://tinyurl.com/5kttp

+SJ

Re: RFC - Diderot WikiWriter Project - Pre-Release Announce [ In reply to ]
On 22 Sep 2004, at 22:15, Sj wrote:

> As for WYSIWYG editors, when Ward Cunningham was asked what one thing
> he would change about Wikipedia, he said "I'd throw a WYSIWYG editor
> in front of it".
> http://tinyurl.com/5kttp
>
> +SJ

You're misquoting him there, at least in the article it doesn't say so.
He did say something along these lines, but -- just as a polite caveat
-- I would be weary of "making up quotes". It reminds me of how
[[Theodore Sturgeon]] got immortalized with a sentence containing a
four letter word he never uttered. (He used a much milder four letter
word.) See [[Sturgeon's law]].

Anyway.

-- ropers [[en:User:Ropers]]
www.ropersonline.com
Re: RFC - Diderot WikiWriter Project - Pre-Release Announce [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 22:30:59 +0200, Jens Ropers <ropers@ropersonline.com> wrote:

> On 22 Sep 2004, at 22:15, Sj wrote:
>
> > As for WYSIWYG editors, when Ward Cunningham was asked what one thing
> > he would change about Wikipedia, he said "I'd throw a WYSIWYG editor
> > in front of it".
> > http://tinyurl.com/5kttp
>
> You're misquoting him there, at least in the article it doesn't say so.
> He did say something along these lines, but -- just as a polite caveat
> -- I would be weary of "making up quotes". It reminds me of how

Thanks for the attention to detail, Jens. I am quite wary of making up quotes;
for the very reason that they tend to live forever.

In this case, however, the quote is legit. I did the interview, I
have it on tape... (checks source) Okay, now I'm slightly
embarrassed, Ward didn't say "editor" :

"WQ: If there were one thing you could change about Wikipedia, what
would it be?"
"WC: <immediately> I'd throw a wysiwyg editing interface in front of it."

That quote (and the entire question) got cut... because WYSIWYG
editors were important enough to him that he brought the subject up
twice.

--
+sj+
Re: RFC - Diderot WikiWriter Project - Pre-Release Announce [ In reply to ]
>> You're misquoting him there, at least in the article it doesn't say
>> so.
>> He did say something along these lines, but -- just as a polite caveat
>> -- I would be weary of "making up quotes". It reminds me of how
>
> Thanks for the attention to detail, Jens. I am quite wary of making
> up quotes;
> for the very reason that they tend to live forever.
>
> In this case, however, the quote is legit. I did the interview, I
> have it on tape... (checks source) Okay, now I'm slightly
> embarrassed, Ward didn't say "editor" :
>
> "WQ: If there were one thing you could change about Wikipedia, what
> would it be?"
> "WC: <immediately> I'd throw a wysiwyg editing interface in front of
> it."
>
> That quote (and the entire question) got cut... because WYSIWYG
> editors were important enough to him that he brought the subject up
> twice.

Ah.
Thanks for the clarification.

-- ropers [[en:User:Ropers]]
www.ropersonline.com
Re: RFC - Diderot WikiWriter Project - Pre-Release Announce [ In reply to ]
Here are more comments from the cutting-room floor. The bit about
"how many FTEs are editing on Wikipedia?" would be a cute stat to add
to the stats list.

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Newsletter/Extras