Mailing List Archive

Introduction
Hello, all.

My name is Craig Hartel, and I am new to MediaWiki and relatively new to wikis
in general. I am one of two people responsible for building reference
documentation for WordPress (http://wordpress.org) which is an open-source
blogging tool.

We are currently in the process of building our wiki by harvesting from our old
wiki (phpWiki I believe) and by twisting arms of community members to write
documentation for us.

I am already very impressed with MediaWiki, and am excited by all of the
possibilities of how it can be used. I am a bit overwhelmed right now with
trying to set up some guidelines for how we want the wiki to work, and with
issues of creating templates and related wiki assets.

Although I am comfortable with CSS, I am also trying to come up with some
site-specific customizations.

If any of you might have some links to to help me and my team to get started, it
would be very much appreciated. I have been poking around quite a bit in the
MetaWiki, so I'm armed with enough knowledge to really make a mess! ;)

Our wiki is not officially online, but if you would like to have a peek at it,
you can find it at http://codex.wordpress.org/ . We are currently working to
decide how to best use namespaces, as we wish to maximize searchability and
minimize sub-pages.

Any advice you may have would be great.

Thanks for putting together a great piece of software and I look forward to
participating in the MediaWiki community.

Craig Hartel a.k.a. "Nuclear Moose"
Re: Introduction [ In reply to ]
Craig Hartel wrote:
<snip>

Welcome Craig !

Template system is a bit hard to learn in v1.3, but people will learn it
fast. We might want to offer a better interface to fill fields but I
personally think it will need some changes to the way we are handling
them actually (aka saving datas in a new database table instead of in
the article text).

Some help about templates:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Template

> Although I am comfortable with CSS, I am also trying to come up with
> some site-specific customizations.

The monobook skin (default for v1.3 with phptal) can be edited through
the phptal template : ./template/xhtml_slim.pt , css are under
./stylesheets/monobook/ .

> If any of you might have some links to to help me and my team to get
> started, it would be very much appreciated. I have been poking around
> quite a bit in the MetaWiki, so I'm armed with enough knowledge to
> really make a mess! ;)

Some links:
Installation FAQ:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Installation_FAQ
The MediaWiki user guide:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Contents
Developpers irc chat:
irc://irc.freenode.net/#mediawiki

cheers,

--
Ashar Voultoiz
Re: Re: Introduction [ In reply to ]
Ashar,

Thank you very much for your kind assistance!

Craig Hartel.