Mailing List Archive

Troubleshooting upload
Hi there,

I have setup a Wikimedia installation for a possible use within
europa.* Usenet hierarchy steering group and as a FAQ and charter
repository.

The documentation is fairly complete, so I managed to get all the
things up and running with the sole exception of the upload
capabilities.

Can you give me a few hints about that?

I've already checked:
* The 'images' directory in /usr/local/mediawiki/ has the same owner
as apache runs as;
* Tried to chmod 777 it :o ;
* Created a tmp inside it, global /tmp is writeable;
* Php is not in safe mode;
* LocalSettings.php is as required by the documentation:
** $wgUploadPath correct;
** $wgUploadDirectory correct;
** $wgDisableUploads = false;
** $wgUseImageResize = true;
** $wgUseImageMagick = true;
** $wgImageMagickConvertCommand = "/usr/bin/convert";
* I actually get to upload page, fill in the file, check the
copyright: no error is displayed or logged and the page is loaded
again. Also looked in syslog files and httpd logs: nothing.

Thank you for your help
Mario
Re: Troubleshooting upload [ In reply to ]
Mario Benvenuti wrote:
> The documentation is fairly complete, so I managed to get all the
> things up and running with the sole exception of the upload
> capabilities.
[snip]
> * I actually get to upload page, fill in the file, check the
> copyright: no error is displayed or logged and the page is loaded
> again. Also looked in syslog files and httpd logs: nothing.

Can you clarify what exactly happens after you submit the form?

Note that there is (or was, I don't know if it's still there) an old
Mozilla bug where hitting enter while the focus is in the check box
would result in something being lost and the submission simply returning
to the upload form, with the checkbox now unchecked. If you're using
Mozilla and hitting enter, try clicking the submit button with the mouse.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: Troubleshooting upload [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 12:14:16 -0700, Brion Vibber <brion@pobox.com> wrote:
> Mario Benvenuti wrote:
> > * I actually get to upload page, fill in the file, check the
> > copyright: no error is displayed or logged and the page is loaded
> > again. Also looked in syslog files and httpd logs: nothing.

> Can you clarify what exactly happens after you submit the form?

> Note that there is (or was, I don't know if it's still there) an old
> Mozilla bug where hitting enter while the focus is in the check box
> would result in something being lost and the submission simply returning
> to the upload form, with the checkbox now unchecked. If you're using
> Mozilla and hitting enter, try clicking the submit button with the mouse.

Thank you for your kind answer, Brion, but it doesn't seem to be a
client problem:
I am using FireFox 0.9.1, and it works good in uploading things in
it.wiki. When I click the Upload button with the mouse, the upload
page disappears for a moment, that it loads again. No message, no
errors in the syslog... If you'd like to have a look yourself, it is
at http://wiki.usenet.eu.org/ .

Ciao,
Mario
Re: Troubleshooting upload [ In reply to ]
Mario Benvenuti wrote:
> Thank you for your kind answer, Brion, but it doesn't seem to be a
> client problem:
> I am using FireFox 0.9.1, and it works good in uploading things in
> it.wiki. When I click the Upload button with the mouse, the upload
> page disappears for a moment, that it loads again. No message, no
> errors in the syslog... If you'd like to have a look yourself, it is
> at http://wiki.usenet.eu.org/ .

Confirmed, I see the same on your wiki using Safari 1.2.3.

I think it's your rewrite rules. The upload form has as its action URL
"/index.php/Speciale:Upload". However going there I'm redirected to
"/Speciale:Upload". The HTTP 302 redirection response turns it from a
POST into a GET request and the form submission is lost.

I think this should be fixed if you set the $wgArticlePath in
LocalSettings.php to go directly to the destination URL like this:

$wgArticlePath = "/$1";

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: Troubleshooting upload [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 14:16:54 -0700, Brion Vibber <brion@pobox.com> wrote:
> Mario Benvenuti wrote:

> > When I click the Upload button with the mouse, the upload
> > page disappears for a moment, that it loads again. No message, no
> > errors in the syslog...

> I think it's your rewrite rules. The upload form has as its action URL
> "/index.php/Speciale:Upload". However going there I'm redirected to
> "/Speciale:Upload". The HTTP 302 redirection response turns it from a
> POST into a GET request and the form submission is lost.
>
> I think this should be fixed if you set the $wgArticlePath in
> LocalSettings.php to go directly to the destination URL like this:
>
> $wgArticlePath = "/$1";

Yes, it was.

Thank you Brian.

Mario