Mailing List Archive

Does 1.3.1 use a different multiple languages meachniam from 1.2 ?
I am running a multiple languages Wiki on a single web server. Moreover,
they share a single Wiki program.

It works fine with MediaWiki 1.2, but not with MediaWik 1.3.1.

I 've assigned the same value(like http://www.foo.org/wiki/index.php/$1) for
the namespaces for different languages.
The value of $wgLanguageCode variable is dynamically set to different
language code according to the domain name being used to get access to the
Wiki. For example, if the user opens the Wiki with the URL
http://en.foo.org/ and the $wgLanguageCode will be set to "en", if the user
opens the Wiki with the URL http://zh.foo.org/ and the $wgLanguageCode will
be set to "zh".

However when I upgrade the Wiki to MediaWiki 1.3.1, it does not work well.

First, changes to LanguageXX.php files do not take effect dynamically. (Do I
have to run rebuildMessages. php to update all the messages. Is there any
way to update all those messages online, instead of offline? )

Second, the text displayed on the interface is a mix of multiple different
languages(part of them are displayed in English while others are dispalyed
in Chinese. )

Is there somebody can save me from the bad situation?

Thank you!

Collin
Re: Does 1.3.1 use a different multiple languages meachniam from 1.2 ? [ In reply to ]
Collin Hsu wrote:
[snip]
> First, changes to LanguageXX.php files do not take effect dynamically. (Do I
> have to run rebuildMessages. php to update all the messages. Is there any
> way to update all those messages online, instead of offline? )

You'll need to disable the database messages ($wgUseDatabseMessages),
since that only allows for one language to be set in the database.

> Second, the text displayed on the interface is a mix of multiple different
> languages(part of them are displayed in English while others are dispalyed
> in Chinese. )

Which specifically? Check the database messages, above. Some items
aren't in there (like some preferences names etc) so would always be
pulled from the language arrays.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
RE: Does 1.3.1 use a different multiplelanguages meachniam from 1.2 ? [ In reply to ]
Thank you very very much!

You always give me prompt help!

Appreiciate your help!

Collin