Mailing List Archive

Installation hangs (MediaWiki 1.3.0beta6)
Hello.

I am trying to install MediaWiki 1.3.0beta6 on my ISP account. This
makes it hard to modify php.ini (and to upgrade to anything higher
then PHP 4.2.3.)

I can properly launch the wiki/config/index.php file, and sets the
admin and database account. (I have a user on a MySQL DB.)

When I press "Install!" I get some output (appended at the end), and
then the pages finishes loading.

This could be the same problem as discussed in
http://mail.wikipedia.org/pipermail/mediawiki-l/2004-June/000525.html
however it was not properly resolved back then (for all participant in
the discussion).

Here is the output after I pressed "Install!":

MediaWiki 1.3.0beta6 installation

Please include all of the lines below when reporting installation problems.
Checking environment...

* WARNING: PHP 4.3.2 or higher is recommended. Older versions from
4.1.x up may work but are not actively supported. PHP 4.2.3: ok
* PHP server API is apache; ok, using pretty URLs (index.php/Page_Title)
* Have XML / Latin1-UTF-8 conversion support.
* PHP is configured with no memory_limit.
* Have zlib support; enabling output compression.
* Couldn't find GD library or ImageMagick; image thumbnailing disabled.
* Installation directory:
* Script URI path: /johans/wiki
Warning: $wgProxyKey is insecure

--
Regards
Johan Seland
Re: Installation hangs (MediaWiki 1.3.0beta6) [ In reply to ]
Johan Seland wrote:
> I am trying to install MediaWiki 1.3.0beta6 on my ISP account. This
> makes it hard to modify php.ini (and to upgrade to anything higher
> then PHP 4.2.3.)
>
> I can properly launch the wiki/config/index.php file, and sets the
> admin and database account. (I have a user on a MySQL DB.)
>
> When I press "Install!" I get some output (appended at the end), and
> then the pages finishes loading.

Unfortunately it's not easy to diagnose this kind of problem.

See if you can enable error logging (you might be able to override these
settings by putting some ini_set() statements into config/index.php), it
might be eating the displayed errors if there's some sort of problem.

Also try adding a statement like this:
die("Got this far");
and moving it farther and farther back until you find the exact place
where it no longer runs.

Debugging sucks, sorry. :P

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: Installation hangs (MediaWiki 1.3.0beta6) [ In reply to ]
> Also try adding a statement like this:
> die("Got this far");
> and moving it farther and farther back until you find the exact place
> where it no longer runs.

I managed to trace the stop to the line
"require_once( 'GlobalFunctions.php' );" in Setup.php

No code in GlobalFunctions.php is executed.

In config/index.php, the "require_once( 'Setup.php' ) is around line 365.

Could it be a out-of-memory problem?
--
Regards
Johan Seland