Gran Canaria Info - http://www.gran-canaria-info.com
Hollandse Nieuwe - http://www.hollandsenieuwe.com
tel. +34 928 88.61.77
Re: wikimedia & a forum [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Aug 06, 2004 at 10:45:09PM +0100, Lex Thoonen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I Know a community portal link is given, however, I'd like to keep a
> phpBB at the side of the mediawiki.
>
> Is this foolish?
>
> Has anyone tried using one user table for mediawiki & phpBB?
>
> Better asked: can anyone point to more info if it's available?

I'm very sure that it's possible, you might have to change some
column names and make sure that they only share the user table.

ciao, tom
--
== Weblinks ==
* http://shop.wikipedia.org - WikiReader Internet zu kaufen
Re: wikimedia & a forum [ In reply to ]
> I Know a community portal link is given, however, I'd like to keep a
> phpBB at the side of the mediawiki.
>
> Is this foolish?

Well, given that the users of the English Wikipedia have consistently
failed to agree what mix of namespaces, separate wikis, mailing lists,
and possible forums to use for different types of discussion, I think
it seems a fair enough experiment. Indeed, it will be interesting for
other wiki communities to see how well the two approaches can be
combined, from a community point of view.

> > Has anyone tried using one user table for mediawiki & phpBB?
>
> I'm very sure that it's possible, you might have to change some
> column names and make sure that they only share the user table.

Note in particular that there is recently-added (and possibly still
"experimental") support in MediaWiki for database tables to have
prefixes. I don't know if you could build on this to ensure that the
user table has a matching name, but the others don't.

The main thing that you'll have to modify, I'm guessing, is
account-creation routines: you want creating an account in one piece
of software [i.e. MediaWiki or phpBB] to fill in the information for
both pieces of software. Hopefully, passwords will be in the same
format for both, otherwise you'll have to encode it twice. Otherwise,
it will just be a case of find and replace on any column names you've
had to change, I'm guessing.

--
Rowan Collins BSc
[IMSoP]
Re: wikimedia & a forum [ In reply to ]
Sunday, August 8, 2004, 8:12:40 PM, you wrote:

RC> Hopefully, passwords will be in the same
RC> format for both, otherwise you'll have to encode it twice. Otherwise,
RC> it will just be a case of find and replace on any column names you've
RC> had to change, I'm guessing.

just to say "thanks" to all repliers:

thanks!

--