reenter all my wiki data - what's the best way of transferring it
across? I've managed to get the XML export to work, but how to I
_import_ it to the new site?

2. I don't find it very easy to search for support on the metawiki using
the search What's the easiest way of finding whether somebody has
answered my question about mediawiki previously?

Thanks as ever

Nick
Re: Upgrading from 1.26 to 1.3 - best way? [ In reply to ]
Nick Bell wrote:
> 1. 1.26 is great, but I want the latest! I would rather not have to
> reenter all my wiki data - what's the best way of transferring it
> across? I've managed to get the XML export to work, but how to I
> _import_ it to the new site?

There is not yet a fully functional XML import function in the wiki.

The standard upgrade method is to just install the new version; give it
the existing database name/username/password and it should perform the
necessary upgrade steps.

You will need to first remove the old LocalSettings.php if you try to
install over the same directory, and adapt any customizations to it to
the new version.

BACK UP EVERYTHING FIRST -- your files and your database.

(Keep in mind that 1.3 is currently marked as beta, in large part
because there have been install issues that aren't fully worked out yet.
On some configurations you may have trouble.)

> 2. I don't find it very easy to search for support on the metawiki using
> the search What's the easiest way of finding whether somebody has
> answered my question about mediawiki previously?

Google. Both meta and the mailing list archives should be indexed and
reachable. (Try adding site:mail.wikipedia.org or
site:meta.wikipedia.org to the google search to restrict results.)

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: Upgrading from 1.26 to 1.3 - best way? [ In reply to ]
Further advice: keep your old "images" directory, since the database
does not contain them, and you'll lose them if you delete your old wiki
directory.

On 18-Jul-04, at 8:55 PM, Brion Vibber wrote:

> Nick Bell wrote:
>> 1. 1.26 is great, but I want the latest! I would rather not have to
>> reenter all my wiki data - what's the best way of transferring it
>> across? I've managed to get the XML export to work, but how to I
>> _import_ it to the new site?
>
> There is not yet a fully functional XML import function in the wiki.
>
> The standard upgrade method is to just install the new version; give
> it the existing database name/username/password and it should perform
> the necessary upgrade steps.
>
> You will need to first remove the old LocalSettings.php if you try to
> install over the same directory, and adapt any customizations to it to
> the new version.
>
> BACK UP EVERYTHING FIRST -- your files and your database.
>
> (Keep in mind that 1.3 is currently marked as beta, in large part
> because there have been install issues that aren't fully worked out
> yet. On some configurations you may have trouble.)
>
>> 2. I don't find it very easy to search for support on the metawiki
>> using the search What's the easiest way of finding whether somebody
>> has answered my question about mediawiki previously?
>
> Google. Both meta and the mailing list archives should be indexed and
> reachable. (Try adding site:mail.wikipedia.org or
> site:meta.wikipedia.org to the google search to restrict results.)
>
> -- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

Dan E. Kelley, Associate Professor phone:(902)494-1694
Oceanography Department, Dalhousie University fax:(902)494-2885
Halifax, Nova Scotia mailto:Dan.Kelley@Dal.CA
Canada B3H 4J1 http://www.phys.ocean.dal.ca/~kelley/Kelley_Dan.html
Re: Upgrading from 1.26 to 1.3 - best way? [ In reply to ]
> The standard upgrade method is to just install the new version; give it
> the existing database name/username/password and it should perform the
> necessary upgrade steps.
>
> You will need to first remove the old LocalSettings.php if you try to
> install over the same directory, and adapt any customizations to it to
> the new version.

I may add as a suggestion for frequent upgrading (besides backing up).
Install the new version to a new directory. Mv the old dir to .bak or so.
I have th images directory linked in (ln -s). This way it's easy way to
keep the
old version if upgrading fails.

manfred

Re: Upgrading from 1.26 to 1.3 - best way? [ In reply to ]
Hi,
I would not recommend using 1.3beta for an upgrade in a productive
environment, at least not NOW. I tried the same and there are a number
of unsolved issues for which I got no solution from the list. See thread
"Re: [Mediawiki-l] Uppgrade problem 1.2.4 to 1.3.0beta3", dated 18.6,
for details.

Maybe it's better if you wait for the final 1.3 build. Does anyone know
any schedule for the 1.3 final?

Greetings, Thommie
THOMAS M. ROTHER * n e t z w i s s e n * D-73728 Esslingen
F.R. Germany, European Union * mailto:t.rother@netzwissen.de
http://www.netzwissen.de * GPG Key from http://wwwkeys.de.pgp.net
Fingerprint B208 E204 4249 4635 19B9 B691 3E73 C8B9 1229 DE4C
Re: Upgrading from 1.26 to 1.3 - best way? [ In reply to ]
Am 19 Jul 2004 schrieb Thomas Rother zum Thema Re: [Mediawiki-l] Upgrading from 1.26 to 1.3 - be:

Hallo,

> I would not recommend using 1.3beta for an upgrade in a productive
> environment, at least not NOW. I tried the same and there are a number of
> unsolved issues for which I got no solution from the list.

Tatsächlich konnte ich ja einige der Probleme nachvollziehen.
Der Update ist aber *fast* einfach.

Backup des alten Verzeichnisses.
Installation in ein neues Verzeichnis.
Anpassen der Datenbanken.
Konnektieren der Datenbank.

Bei mir hat es (dann doch) geklappt.

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Hanke Penning - Online Unit

IAP GmbH, Mörkenstr. 9, D-22767 Hamburg
Tel.+49 40-30 68 03-14 - Fax +49 40-30 68 03-10
Hanke.Penning@iap.de - www.iap.de

Geschäftsführer: Klaus de Vries, Klaus Erichsen
Amtsgericht Hamburg, HRB 61291
Re: Upgrading from 1.26 to 1.3 - best way? [ In reply to ]
Thomas Rother wrote:
> I would not recommend using 1.3beta for an upgrade in a productive
> environment, at least not NOW. I tried the same and there are a number
> of unsolved issues for which I got no solution from the list. See thread
> "Re: [Mediawiki-l] Uppgrade problem 1.2.4 to 1.3.0beta3", dated 18.6,
> for details.
>
> Maybe it's better if you wait for the final 1.3 build. Does anyone know
> any schedule for the 1.3 final?

There is no particular schedule; at some point we'll declare it final.
Unfortunately I've been busy with other things lately and haven't had
the chance to just sit down for a couple days and try to reproduce all
these obscure installation bugs that don't happen on my system...

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: Upgrading from 1.26 to 1.3 - best way? [ In reply to ]
Brion Vibber wrote:
> Unfortunately I've been busy with other things lately and haven't had
> the chance to just sit down for a couple days and try to reproduce all
> these obscure installation bugs that don't happen on my system...

Just installing 1.3b4 on the same server and using the existing wiki
mysql database went fine, although I did have to run the install script
twice and re-upload the images, deleting them from the old db first.
Very good!

Nick
Re: Upgrading from 1.26 to 1.3 - best way? [ In reply to ]
Right. I also had to run the installer twice. I hope the official
release doesn't have this problem. Indeed, I imagine folks on this
list would be happy to try out a "beta5" or a "beta6", if doing so
would help the official release to work more smoothly.

Re: Upgrading from 1.26 to 1.3 - best way? [ In reply to ]
dan kelley wrote:
> Right. I also had to run the installer twice. I hope the official
> release doesn't have this problem. Indeed, I imagine folks on this list
> would be happy to try out a "beta5" or a "beta6", if doing so would help
> the official release to work more smoothly.

I haven't gotten a beta5 package out, but there are some additional
fixes in the 1.3 release branch in CVS. You can grab the latest like
this (on a Linux/Unix/alike system):

export CVSROOT=:pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/wikipedia
cvs login
<hit enter>
cvs co -r REL1_3 phase3

(Terminology note: "phase 3" refers to the whole of MediaWiki since Lee
Crocker's rewrite in mid-2002; it doesn't refer to any particular version.)

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: Upgrading from 1.26 to 1.3 - best way? [ In reply to ]
Brion Vibber wrote:

> There is no particular schedule; at some point we'll declare it final.
> Unfortunately I've been busy with other things lately and haven't had
> the chance to just sit down for a couple days and try to reproduce all
> these obscure installation bugs that don't happen on my system...

Just let us know when it's worth to do a test, even on the CVS code. I
just don't want to test CVS code until I'm really shure that someone has
worked on "my" install issues ;-).

By the way: is there a Bugzilla for mediawiki development?

Bye, Thommie

Re: Upgrading from 1.26 to 1.3 - best way? [ In reply to ]
Thomas Rother wrote:

> By the way: is there a Bugzilla for mediawiki development?

The sourceforge bug tracker is the best place to put new bugs:

~ESP