$wgWhitelistRead = true;
$wgWhitelistAccount = array ( "user" => 0, "sysop" => 1, "developer" =>
1 );

But only edits are disallowed for users not logged in. Its possible for
anonymous users to read all pages.

Is this a bug, or am I missing some important information?

Thank you for your help

/Thomas
Re: Bug when running a closed shop wiki? [ In reply to ]
A quick grep for the wgWhitelistRead variable shows that it doesnt exist
in any other files but Local and Default settings, and thus is never
checked anywhere. The language files contain a "you need to be logged in
to read" text, but the functionality seems totally missing.

Any ideas?

/Thomas

Re: Bug when running a closed shop wiki? [ In reply to ]
MediaWiki announcements and site admin list <mediawiki-l@Wikimedia.org>
writes:
>A quick grep for the wgWhitelistRead variable shows that it doesnt exist
>in any other files but Local and Default settings, and thus is never
>checked anywhere. The language files contain a "you need to be logged in
>to read" text, but the functionality seems totally missing.
>
>Any ideas?

I have implemented use of '$wgWhitelistRead' in the wiki code but it may
not have been included in a release candidate yet. It should be available
in the head CVS revision (use at your own risk), on SourceForge.

In my implementation, you set '$wgWhitelistRead' to an array of values of
the form "namespace:articleName", each of which is an article a user may
see without actually logging in. For example

$wgWhitelistRead = array ( ":Main_Page", "Special:Userlogin",
"Wikipedia:Help");

If the user goes to any other article, they are given a message that they
must login first to see the page they've gone to.

Note that "Special:Userlogin" has to be included in the list, otherwise a
user could never log in. As a debugging aid, I put an invisible HTML
comment in the error page with the identifier of the article the user was
trying to reach.

Nick Pisarro