Is there an easy way that I can reset the password field for him, or
find out the password and send it to him? I've tried looking in
phpMyAdmin, and all I see are the blob and tinyblob fields, and I don't
know how to interpret those.

Thanks,
Dan Carlson, Administrator
Memory Alpha: A Star Trek WikiWiki
http://memoryalpha.st-minutiae.com/
Re: Recovering a lost password? [ In reply to ]
On Mar 4, 2004, at 18:17, Dan Carlson wrote:
> I've got a user who's forgotten his password and needs to get it back.
> Is there an easy way that I can reset the password field for him, or
> find out the password and send it to him? I've tried looking in
> phpMyAdmin, and all I see are the blob and tinyblob fields, and I
> don't know how to interpret those.

On the login page there's a "mail me a new password" button. If they've
got an e-mail address set in their account, they should be able to put
in the username and hit this button and will receive a newly generated
password. (The existing password remains valid unless the user logs in
with the new one... the passwords are stored as a one-way hash so it's
not possible to recover the plaintext password, a new one has to be
generated.)

If they don't have an e-mail address configured, you can poke it into
the user_email field in the database. It's possible that the password
mailing won't work in all possible configurations, so you might want to
try it with a test account to make sure it's functional.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)