Mailing List Archive

[Wikimedia-l] Re: We need more interactive content: we are doing it wrong
Was involved in 2019 with loading the datasets that form these graphs
<https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Data:CO2PerCapita.tab> onto Commons.
And then we were using these data sets within our currently dead graph tool
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Doc_James/OurWorld>. While we got it to
work, sort of, it was never nearly as nice as what OWID does. For example
our tool could not "zoom in" to Europe.

With respect to offline use, the still images are offline functional within
ZIMs for Kiwix, but yes the interactive graphs are not functional in these
ZIMs/offline.

The graphs actually work beautifully on mobile web. Not sure about the
Wikipedia app.

All of OWIDs source code is open source and we could definitely look at
pulling it into our ecosystem. We already made a copy of it with a number
of modifications at https://owidm.wmcloud.org/ Another major benefit to
bringing it in house is that we would have greater control over making it
multilingual (that was one of the reasons we looked at the mirror).

Another strategy could be to look at a partnership with OWID for these
specific 4,500 graphics. We could help them become more multilingual, with
an agreement around our reuse / mirroring their site on production servers.
Plus we could feedback other datasets to be graphed for either of our use.

James