Mailing List Archive

[Wikimedia-l] Re: Joint Statement on Palestine
Quick question, I'm not directly against what you're saying, but...

How does this viewpoint align with NPOV, or the impression of NPOV?

Would you think that "If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you
have chosen the side of the oppressor" explicitly rejects a position
of neutrality and neutral reporting?

Later you request "We urgently request the Wikimedia Foundation to
prioritize the unbiased dissemination of information and the accurate
and timely documentation of the ongoing human-made humanitarian disaster
and the erasure of cultural heritage." How is this request for unbiased action
possible if you just previously rejected a position of neutrality?

I can see you feel very strongly, and I won't disagree that your
action may have merit in other contexts; I also might not disagree
with a mission on somewhat different grounds.

That said, one should use the right tool for the right job. As it
stands, how would you argue that wikimedia and wikipedia (organizations
that depend on being neutral) would be the right place for this mission,
specifically with this wording?

sincerely,
Kim Bruning