Mailing List Archive

[Wikimedia-l] Re: Outcomes from the March Meeting for the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees
On Thu, Mar 28, 2024 at 1:51?PM Samuel Klein <meta.sj@gmail.com> wrote:

> I wanted to clarify that it is not 3% of all donors that go on to make an
>> unreverted edit. All donors are directed to a “Thank You” page after their
>> donations, which includes several calls-to-action. This year, we included
>> a call to “Try editing Wikipedia”. Due to the way that we restrict tracking
>> due to user privacy, the chart representing the editing funnel
>> <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Growth/Newcomer_experience_projects#Scaling_the_new_donor_Thank_you_page_to_English_Wikipedia>
>> actually starts once a donor has clicked that call to create an account. In
>> other words, of the people who donated during the Big English banner
>> campaign, only 12,005 actually clicked through from the donor Thank You
>> page to create an account. From those who click through, about 3.7% of
>> people end up completing an unreverted edit.
>>
> I see, that explains why this wasn't more than a footnote. :) Someone
> who just donated is unlikely to be a bot or spammer, so not surprising
> their edit quality is higher.
>
> Once someone decides to try editing, ideally almost all of them would make
> an edit, without needing to make an account. Perhaps: "Try editing" -->
> simple interface for easy edits --> make a few edits --> see a few edits
> by others to review ???????? (or offer the same edits to a few people) --> only
> then make an account via simple creation popup...

We actually have tried something similar years ago (asking unregistered
editors to sign up after editing or even as a part of saving) and it didn’t
really work. The thing is that we’ve never really explained why there’s a
compelling reason to have an account to edit I think.

The Growth team has done a good job though in recent years with recommended
tasks for new editors. It’s not perfect but once you sign up there is a
pretty good onboarding path. One thing I’d love to see is testing more of a
focus on joining WikiProjects. Generic mentorship and tasks are good, but
connecting with a group of people also interested in your topic of choice
is cooler. It’s why social products like Reddit, Facebook Groups, etc are
so sticky.

The truth is with any engagement, reading or editing, there will be a steep
drop off rate in many (if not most) steps in a process. It’s still very
nice to see edits happen as a part of the fundraising campaigns. The call
to participate has no downside even if the impact is relatively small.