Mailing List Archive

[Wikimedia-l] Re: Outcomes from the March Meeting for the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees
Thank you, SJ, for your involvement and thorough review of the Thank You
page experiment results! We were particularly delighted to find that some
donors exhibit an interest in editing. As Victoria highlights, the edits
made by donors experience a significantly lower revert rate compared to
those by new account holders on average.

I wanted to clarify that it is not 3% of all donors that go on to make an
unreverted edit. All donors are directed to a “Thank You” page after their
donations, which includes several calls-to-action. This year, we included
a call to “Try editing Wikipedia”. Due to the way that we restrict tracking
due to user privacy, the chart representing the editing funnel
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Growth/Newcomer_experience_projects#Scaling_the_new_donor_Thank_you_page_to_English_Wikipedia>
actually starts once a donor has clicked that call to create an account. In
other words, of the people who donated during the Big English banner
campaign, only 12,005 actually clicked through from the donor Thank You
page to create an account. From those who click through, about 3.7% of
people end up completing an unreverted edit.

This idea to encourage donors to edit came directly from the collaboration
with volunteers
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Fundraising/2023_banners#Update_on_inviting_donors_to_edit_&_WikiConference_North_America_discussions>when
we were developing the banners last year. While the percentage of overall
donors who funnel into editing is relatively small, we agree the results
are encouraging and this is a low effort way to encourage more people to
explore contributing to the wikis in new ways. I hope that helps clarify
the results of this experiment. We’ve also made some edits to the
experiment report to make it easier to understand.

Thanks for helping with this experiment; we’re looking forward to exploring
how to build on this in future campaigns!

Megan