Mailing List Archive

[Wikimedia-l] Re: Urgent attention required because Commons is blocked in Pakistan
Unfortunately a VPN is not a solution at the moment.

Because of interesting historical reasons, people using VPN or other
"open proxies" cannot edit most Wikimedia projects, as default

- even if they are logged-in
- even if they are autopatrolled
- even if they are sysop (!)
- ecc.

This is an interesting "feature" that will never change without RFC.

So no, unfortunately we are not ready to suggest a VPN since it does
not immediately work, so you cannot immediately quit censorship or
similar things, at least without additional on-wiki bureaucratic
procedure.

https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T309328

Not something I would propose to an entire nation, at the moment.

I also have no other ideas...

-boz