Mailing List Archive

[Wikimedia-l] A Red&Blue Wikibase for every Wikipedia
Hoi,
The two biggest technical changes that had a huge impact on all our
projects were first Commons and then Wikidata. Commons centralised pictures
in one location and this saved Wikimedia a huge amount in storage costs.
Wikidata centralised all the interwiki links in one database and it stopped
the biggest generator of edits in all the Wikipedias.

I have toying with the idea of combining each Wikipedia with its own
Wikibase. It will improve the functionality of both blue and red links.
Disambiguation will be improved. It enables synchronisation with Wikidata.
We link to the OpenLibrary where books can be read by an
international public. Books and scholarly papers will be known at Wikidata
as well enabling the signalling of retractions and citations.

I blogged about this and a more complete expose can be read..

https://ultimategerardm.blogspot.com/2024/02/a-red-wikibase-for-red-blue-and-black.html
https://ultimategerardm.blogspot.com/2024/03/a-red-wikibase-disambiguation-on.html
https://ultimategerardm.blogspot.com/2024/03/another-red-application-epidemiologist.html
https://ultimategerardm.blogspot.com/2024/03/a-red-approach-to-wikipedia-references.html