Mailing List Archive

[Wikimedia-l] Affiliations Committee: members and advisors appointment
Dear all,

I am writing to let you know about updates to the membership of the
Affiliations Committee (AffCom) [1], tasked with advising and making
recommendations regarding the recognition and ongoing work of Wikimedia
movement affiliates
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:MyLanguage/Wikimedia_movement_affiliates>
.

Please read below about the selection process, updated membership, and how
to engage more.

== Selection process ==

There was an open nomination period to the Affiliations Committee from 17
October to 17 November (Anywhere on Earth) [2]. 32 candidates applied, and
you can read all applications on Meta [3]. Wikimedia Foundation staff
checked the candidates’ documents (proof of identity), and whether there
were any trust & safety concerns. Some candidates opted not to move
forward. Staff reviewed each candidate against a rubric and conducted
initial scoring based on self-reported information.

The Board Liaisons personally interviewed every candidate who passed the
initial checks to ensure a thorough candidate evaluation process. In
December and January, the Board Liaisons interviewed 30 candidates through
online calls. Members of AffCom who were not current candidates were
invited to participate in the interviews with the candidates.

Throughout the interview process, each candidate was asked the same
questions. AffCom members who wished to renew their terms were also
interviewed, though they were asked slightly different questions. Each
candidate was asked if they would be willing to volunteer as a non-voting
Advisor if they were not selected as a full voting member. The candidate
pool was robust and we greatly appreciated spending time with each person.

Our goal was to have good regional representation and enough members to
share the workload, but not to appoint so many people that it would become
difficult to onboard new members or to reach quorum at the meetings. After
careful consideration, we recommended renewing three full members’ terms,
appointing four new members, and seven advisory members. For reference,
please see the AffCom Charter [4].

We also paid attention to the number of the candidates’ other commitments
in the Movement, as AffCom work can be quite time-consuming. In many cases,
its decisions need to be timely. We believe that this composition of the
AffCom helps us achieve both goals. Each new member will go through an
onboarding process.

== AffCom members & advisors ==

Full Members (and the regions they are from [5]):

-

Basak (continuing until June 30, 2024) // CEE & CA
-

Joy Agyepong (continuing until June 30, 2024) // SSA
-

Maor X (continuing until December 31, 2024) // MENA, LAC
-

Xelgen (continuing until December 31, 2024) // CEE & CA
-

Agus Damanik // ESEAP
-

Fulbert (renewal) // NA
-

???? ????????? (Mari Avetisyan) // CEE & CA
-

Mehman (renewal) // CEE & CA
-

Mwintirew // SSA
-

Nadzik // CEE & CA
-

Suyash.dwivedi (renewal) // SA

Nonvoting Advisors (and the regions they are coming from):

-

????? ???? (Aaryaa Joshi) // SA
-

Benoît Prieur // NWE
-

Buszmail // ESEAP
-

HakanIST // CEE & CA
-

Notafish // NWE
-

RebeccaRwanda // SSA
-

Teles // LAC

At least one person represents each region. Out of all 18 people (both
members and advisors), the most represented is CEE & CA - 6 people, but two
of those six are completing their terms this year. The least represented
ones are MENA and North America - only one person each.

The renewed and new voting members’ terms will run from 1 March 2024, to 28
February 2027. There will be a new call for volunteers from October through
December 2024 to create staggered terms, as there will be 4 people
completing their terms this year.

Advisors are appointed for one year, from 1 March 2024 - 28 February 2025.
Advisors can run for the voting seats in the upcoming call for volunteers
if their time commitment allows.

== Thank you! Feedback? ==

Many thanks to everyone who participated in this process! If you have any
questions about this or any other topic regarding the Wikimedia Foundation
Board, Movement Strategy, and more, please request a conversation as a part
of Talking:2024
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Community_Affairs_Committee/Talking:_2024>.
You can use the Wikimedia Foundation Community Affairs Committee/Talking:
2024#Let’s Talk|Let’s Talk
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Community_Affairs_Committee/Talking:_2024#Let's_talk>
feature to sign up for a time to speak with me and other board liaisons.

There is also an ongoing feedback round on proposed requirements for all
affiliates and for user group recognition changes. To provide your
feedback, please review the page on Meta [6], and leave comments on the
talk page. Alternatively, you can join an open call (February 14 and 28 at
14:00 to 14:30 UTC) [7].

Best regards,

Nat & Mike & Lorenzo

Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees Liaisons to the Affiliations
Committee

[1] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Affiliations_Committee

[2]
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Legal_department/Committee_appointments#Affiliations_Committee

[3] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Affiliations_Committee/Candidates/2023

[4]
https://foundation.wikimedia.org/wiki/Committee:Affiliations_Committee_Charter

[5]
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_regions#2022_Wikimedia_Foundation_regions

[6]
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Affiliates_Strategy/Review

[7]
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimedia_Foundation_Affiliates_Strategy/Review#Live_sessions

----
Best regards,
antanana / Nataliia Tymkiv
Chair, Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees

*NOTICE: You may have received this message outside of your normal working
hours/days, as I usually can work more as a volunteer during weekend. You
should not feel obligated to answer it during your days off. Thank you in
advance!*