Mailing List Archive

[Wikimedia-l] Re: Google not indexing Wikisource for last few years now.
I realize SEO has its own jargon, but to those not immersed in the field
it is completely tautological to say a page is not indexed because "the
indexing process determines that the page is unlikely to be requested in
search." In an open-ended search, you aren't necessarily requesting a
specific page, you're only asking the search engine to point you to
pages that will hopefully be relevant to your query. It would be more
honest and straightforward for Google to say that "based on our
knowledge of what people search for, your page would appear so rarely
among the highest-ranked results that we're not going to bother
including it in our index."

--Michael Snow